CD Transportmechanics quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
When you don't need the lousy designed SPDIF output on the older Philips cdplayers with CDM1 things are a bit different.

It seems to me that the higher cost of the transport was the reason for costcutting elsewhere in the cdplayer, including the SPDIF transformer and ground design.

BTW Fmak, what Sony are you referring to ?

Offtopic: I have thought a lot about designing a new pcb for the oldies but it really is too much work when you have a family. Did that in the past with equipment and the results were very satisfying. I desoldered all parts and went to a shop with a 1:1 camera and let them make a high contrast film. I edited this film with a scalpel and rerouted tracks and added/omitted parts with those oldfashioned selfadhesive pcb tracks and pads. The problem is that most companies demand digital files and the selfadhesive material is not produced anymore ( although I still have some in stock ) not to speak about finding a 1:1 camera in the digital era. Even then it only is rewarding when more people besides yourself want such a board.

A CDM1 or CDM4 machine with a new pcb with a welldesigned powersupply and wellrouted ground with a discrete outputstage, my dream :drool:

Re: CD transport

PAM said:
They all agreed that the CDM 1 was the best transport Philips ever made.
So if you cab find a Philips CD 960 or Marantz CD95, 80, 12
you have definitely a very good transport.

You can add the venerable CD-882 drive. As you can see on http://home.hccnet.nl/r.r.meijer/ [click cd loopwerk] we modified this heavyweight drive to the limit... To be fair: my friend Rudo does the real soldering work, like fitting in the Theta TLC.
Up till now the only drive it could convincingly defeat was the Levinson no. 390S (= no. 37 drive), based on a Philips cdm as well, but I don't know which. The only weakness in my 882 (compared to the 390s used as a drive) I really should like to eliminate is the slow dynamics and punch/energy of the lower registers.
How did those madrigal folks do that??
A little bit better IMHO was the Audio Research CD-2 (with Philps cdm2pro).

PAM said:
[B
I made it heavier with sheets of lead. [/B]

Huhh? If you do that, you'll definitely influence the resonance behavior of the sub chassis, don't you? How did you cope with that?

Philips 963 drive noise

I have a Phillips DVD-963SA. Generally it works fine.
On some CDs, however, there is a soft intermittent ticking noise.

Any suggestions on how to reduce the drive noises during play?
I occasionally place a small towel over the player...

Lead sheets on transport

Huhh? If you do that, you'll definitely influence the resonance behavior of the sub chassis, don't you? How did you cope with that?

If you make it heavier, the resonance frequenty will drop.
The lower the resonance frequenty the better.

You get better bass with an heavy transport. And that's what we want. I did glue it with 'Bison Montagekit'.
I removed the small inside of the loader (See photo)

Look at the photo's of Mark Levinson 31 and 31.5

Attachments

• 104_0438b.jpg
    104_0438b.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,320
Re: Re: CD transport

Sorry, I want to correct some mistakes in my earlier post. On my screen I don't get an Edit button, so:

Lourens said:
we modified this heavyweight drive to the limit...

Well, uhh, not really of course, we did a lot, but after reading more and more threads on this forum, I kneel down in humble admiration, like a newbie (also in the remedial class) should...

A little bit better IMHO was the Audio Research CD-2 (with Philps cdm2pro).

I meant the CD-3 wtih CD PRO 2 :hot:

Re: Lead sheets on transport

Thanks for your reply, PAM, and the instructive pictures. I will certainly give it a try.
What is you opinion on a possible disbalance in the way the 4 springs will react?
Perhaps a bit bold to compare, but if look at my spring suspendes Thorens TD-160, any change in weight division means careful retuning of the 3 springs... Or will everything be corrected by the servo?
Tell me when I talking nonsense, please:confused:

PAM said:
Look at the photo's of Mark Levinson 31 and 31.5

I cannot find inside pictures of those players, any suggestions?

TIA
Lourens

Re: Re: Re: Lead sheets on transport

Guido Tent said:

Peter,

A "loose" tray still can affect measured jitter from the disc. Depending on the CD player quality, that jitter may ripple through......

regards

Hello Guido, are you suggesting there is a link between electrical Jitter and cabinet vibration?

I thought these were two seperate problems to deal with.

Anthony

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lead sheets on transport

Coulomb said:

Hello Guido, are you suggesting there is a link between electrical Jitter and cabinet vibration?

I thought these were two seperate problems to deal with.

Anthony

Hi,

The bandwidth of the servo (focus and radial) loops is in the range of 100 of Hz.

Within that range the servo correcs, but with limitted "control" (loopgain is limitted). Outside the range no corrective action expected.

Mechanical vibration ofcourse translates to pit jitter (realize that reading a disc is "just" an opto-mechanical-electrical system.

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.