cd rom digital output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is computer cdrom digital output suitable for dac? Does it have to be manually enabled or its on every time i play a cd?

I built dac from this ( http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6391&perpage=15&pagenumber=2 ) thread, page two - dac6.zip but when i connect it to digital out, nothing changes anywhere.

I emailed MakisB, who made this dac, he said he used kwak clock, Elso can you email schematics and pcb layout (if you have it) to me please?:)
Is clock needed for this dac to work and if it is - where do i connect it?

Sorry for asking dumb questions, but Im new to digital so more questions may arise:D

Now i measured my cdrom digital out and saw that nothing camed out so i used other cdrom and measured again, now i see something, but at the output of the dac is only hf, no music.
Is it possible that pcm1710 is dead?

I used 16,000 mhz crstal here, is anything wrong with this?

Yeah, I like this idea too. I always wanted to do something with the digital output . One thing I would like to suggest as far as a project is concerned is, with a normal audio CD player the laser only makes 1 pass over the data and the error correction does the best it can with what it gets. Now with a CDROM drive you just can't afford errors so the drive reads and re-reads the track until it gets it right. With 52x CDROM drives available now, it would seem a good idea to use all that extra speed to read a section of audio track 20 or 30 times before moving on to the next bit, to make sure it was as right as it could be. Easy to say. Hard to do?

cdrom

hi ppl,
i have tried using faster cdrom, way to much vibration..at the end i switch to 24x cdrom..almost no vibration at all.. so i would recommand using lower speed cdrom..Pls build a good dedicate power supply for the cdrom..cdrom eat quite a current!! im using a diy non-oveersampling CS8412, TDA1543..with no problem..just plug in the cdrom digitsl output to the input of the dac...VOILA!!

rgds,
tone

Digtl out

Beware of Windows Media Player!!:mad:
It will disable cd-rom's digital out by default.
Use winamp instead...

This is what i did (in win98, no xp) and the circuit works fine.

You do not have to put a special clock to DIR1703 to get it work.
It will work with a crystal just fine.

Regards
Makisb

PCM1710 will drive a 5K load
from the datasheet...

Attachments

• image1.gif
    image1.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 862
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.