CD PRO 2 - The making of a high end CD Transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's alive

I just (sort of) finished my second version of CD-Pro2 player. It seems like it is better than a previous one and I will be doing some further mods: removing onboard DAC and installing TDA1543 with passive output stage. The power will come from 12 V battery, direct I2S connection. I also want to do some mods to the board, is the schematic available?

This is Wadia transformer, made by Plitron;)

Attachments

• cd.jpg
    cd.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,904
I will buid a separate PS enclosure as soon as I figure if anything else need to be taken care off. I'm taking supply to 5V display regulator off 9V used for transport. It sounds well and I don't think I will need additional raw supply here.

Still don't know how to finish transport, I like the look of copper, but probably use aluminum over all the panels.

I'm not so sure about this display, it's hard to read from a far. Red dot matrix (Levinson style) would be much nicer.

Overall performance is very good. This player has much more separation and weight than my previous one. Seems like a good concept.

They do an equivilent display in red...Maybe that /may/ improve visiblity. As for me, my room is too small for that to be a concern. + I rarely look at a CD display once its running.

Peter, why not do something a bit 'radical'. You often do a square / rectangle box, how about something totally different? For instance, I saw a transport the other day (can't remeber which site) that had a cylindrical frame with the transport hung from the top...Hard to describe, but looked spot on. How about a kind of high end turntable style? :)

Just my 2p worth...Keep up the great work - I'm sure it'll be fantastic either way!

Gaz

Peter, why not do something a bit 'radical'. You often do a square / rectangle box, how about something totally different? For instance, I saw a transport the other day (can't remeber which site) that had a cylindrical frame with the transport hung from the top...Hard to describe, but looked spot on. How about a kind of high end turntable style? :)

Maybe that one ?:D ;)

http://www.oracle-audio.com/cd2000/index.html

Does anyone see any issues with using an OOPic2 to control a CD-Pro2? The command codes seem rather straight forward. It would also make interfacing with an LCD and various buttons very simple. I just would prefer to have my own control logic instead of depending on code someone else wrote. Also I would like to put a digitally controlled volume in the analog stages. With my own uC, I could integrate that function fairly easily. The only concern I can think of right off the top of my head is if the OOPic2 has enough I/O pins to support all those things. Probably going to have to get that OOPic book. Anyone know somewhere to get a good price on EE type books?

Does anyone have any tips on cutting out the hole needed for the cd-pro to fit in?

The person who is making my cabinet -for more then 1 year now!!!- Wants to make a perfect fit , but the copper used is almost 4mm thick, and causes problems with cutting/sawing.
Using a file would not work I think - ? -

If anyone has any idea`s...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.