CD Player vs. CD Transport using CD-PRO2 module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
Adding a DAC directly, was actually the biggest improvement. Outboard DAC will never sound that clean. The resolution is simply amazing.

Have you tried a Perpetual Technologies P-1A, Moded P-3A & Monolithic Sounds P3A PSU using I2S? I think you maybe pleasantly supprised!

Peter Daniel said:
Those results, make me even less excited about building a CD-Pro transport from scratch. It is actually both very expensive and hard to achieve aestetically pleasing look, similar to well built commercial units.

Don't say that Peter...I was eager to follow the development of your copper CDPRO2. I have been building chassis' from scratch recently - and I does become very tedious. I cut the aluminium with a table saw, ensuring that it's square, and when I drill holes and screw it together, nothing lines up! My new method is to 3D model them, and convert to DXF and send to a fabrication house.

Gaz

Peter Daniel said:
What DAC Perpetual is using?

I think this answers you question - but I didn't really understand what you were asking...

Perpetual Technologies:
P-3A:
Digital - Analogue Convertor. It sounds quite good on its own, but it can be highly modded with new components, opamps and super clocks to become fantastic. ModWright does mods under PT warrenty. ($899 - or $400 on Audiogon)

P-1A:
Digital - Digital Convertor. If you pay through your teeth, you can get SOCS (Speaker Correction) and Room Correction. However, even without these, the sound of the P-3A is greatly enchanced. Some say on a par with a £20,000 dCs system - I couldn't comment on that though. ($1099 - or $450 on Audiogon)

Monolithic Sounds P3A:
Power Supply. This is a linear power supply as an upgrade to the shitty SMPS that come with the units. Apparently very worth while, but I don't have this get. ($350)

The preferred setup for this system is hookup by I2S. Give it a go if you can borrow a system - or take the plunge! It was worth the hassle of getting it to the UK!

Gaz

Poll it.

Hi,

Here is what I propose.
Rate the transport that you've ever had the chance to listen to.
I've got a very small list of transports that i've listened to, but a indication:
Giving:

Pioneer dvd-player (dv-747a)... 6.0 (not so good)
Philips 12.1... 7.0
Sony XA-50es... 8.0 (best I've heard)

Right now I'm curious about the pioneer stable platter.
Anyone familiar with it?

Regards,
Remco Blankesteijn.

till said:

I for example, want something like that: http://home.tu-clausthal.de/~tpa/CDP/CDP.gif

with 2*AD1865 as balanced DAC. I also want to try it with TDA1541A, but how else to connect the AD chip?
And there is only CDM12 or CD PRO2 on the market to do so, as far as i know.

This is DIY and therefore the only reason you cannot have a dac with the TDA1541A AND the AD1865 is you.

I don´t belive all the people on this board doing exessive diy because of aim for better audiophile sound. That may be what they belive, but not necessarily its also true.

Experience tells me that it is true more often than not.

In case they would aim ultimative sound, they would not spend time at this board or with scope and soldering iron, but in concert halls.

Doubt it. I hate classical music, rarely like live music and opera causes me pain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.