• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

CCS instead of a resistor in the cathode of a cathode follower?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now you'll run into issues with the CCS compliance, but at least it will survive. I'd recommend (after replacing the CCS parts!) having about 20-25V on the grid (use a voltage divider with the upper arm bypassed) OR returning the CCS to a -20V supply if the grid is referenced to ground.

I think using CCS with -20V supply will omit one input capacitor at grid also.

I think using CCS with -20V supply will omit one input capacitor at grid also.

Would it? Wouldn't the grid voltage would be too high for the LM317 then?

EDIT: Maybe if a different, higher voltage CCS was used we could omit the capacitor if the gain stage (going to the grid) was run at a lower voltage?

EDIT: It just seems easier to use the cap and reference a low voltage to the grid, but I am open to ideas, as less caps is always a good thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know I can do that so I don't have to reference a low voltage to the grid with the voltage divider, but I am fairly sure (thanks, SY!) that without the capacitor there the voltage at the grid will be very high (170 VDC) and cause the LM317 to fry because of the grid-to-cathode voltage.

Voltage between your grid and GND will be almost zero if you use CCS return with -15V or so negative rail approach.:p

Attachments

• EL84 Output_zpsnyh9cmjg.png
    EL84 Output_zpsnyh9cmjg.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 274
Ok I give up:eek:

On me, or the design? :p

I admit, new concepts aren't something I always grasp easily, and negative bias voltages are not something I am overly familiar with (but I understand them a bit).
However, as SY told me already, the 170VDC grid to cathode voltage from the previous gain stage (a simple grounded cathode amplifier with the signal taken off the anode) is what was frying my LM317s and causing a low grid-to-plate voltage. The reason I put the cap there was to reduce the grid voltage to 0, then add the voltage divider to put 10 volts on the grid, in order to turn on the LM317.

Ok, I was not aware of the fact that the output of previous stage was coming from anode terminal, in that case the cap is needed for sure.:D

Only if the source or previous stage with zero offset is available, then you can omit cap while using CCS with negative rail approach.

Ok, I was not aware of the fact that the output of previous stage was coming from anode terminal, in that case the cap is needed for sure.:D

Only if the source or previous stage with zero offset is available, then you can omit cap while using CCS with negative rail approach.

That's what I thought (and why I was confused at your suggestions). I probably should have drawn out a full schematic, but I was being lazy lol. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
I come up with something like this. By adjusting R7 you can reduce power dissipation in LM317, provided it's above the current limit. R8 adjusts the V3 bias, the direct coupling is possible such that plate voltage is same as the dc voltage required to achieve V3 bias level. V1 supply is regulated to prevent non linearity due to voltage drop. V1 cathode is tied to -ve so the input level can be higher than if it is ground referenced, but output is limited to V3 bias level (can someone brighten me how to increase output?).

Attachments

• el84 hp sch-3.png
    el84 hp sch-3.png
    247.1 KB · Views: 317
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.