Cascoded LTP input stages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Tanh,
Compared with Self's circuit, a CFP input stage should have the advantage, at least, of a much higher input impedance.
Yes. I don't think that a higher input impedance is a advantage. Sorry! I want to mean that distortion only decrease a litte if CFP LTP input is used.

From simulation, I known this for very long time but I'm not sure. I have just read Self's book. Oh! Sefl is a talent man :) He know what I want to say :clown:

Well, really boils down to your requirements and design. C and D are cascodes, both bootstrapped to the tail. Traditionally you would have an external voltage reference but as one article by Edward Cherry in WW points out, the emitter signal voltage fluctuations result in distortion at high input voltages, or in amplifiers with low input sensitivity.

Traditional cascodes are better suited for CE or gain stages because your emitter is referenced to either of the voltage rails depending on device polarity and not left floating (like a virtual ground) in case of ltp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.