• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

cascode vs asymmetrical cathode coupled

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

tubetvr said:
... However if you use the same formula for a low µ power triode as a 6C33C the result is very inaccurate. A 6C33C has a µ of typically 2.7 and a Rp of 80 ohm which gives a gm of 33.75mA/V, with the faulty formula this would give an output impedance of 1/gm which in this case is 29.6 ©. If we instead use the correct formula Zo = 1/[(1/Rp)+gm] we get 21.6 © a 37% difference which can't be seen as insignificant. ... Regards Hans

gm = Rp / (µ+1) = 80Ω / (2,7+1) = 21,6Ω
There is 0% difference. :yes:

I got gm from the data book. :confused:
What do you want to suggest here? :mad:

No comments to the other text, this is a moderators job.

D.

Re: Re: #40

oldeurope said:

1/gm = Rp / (µ+1) = 80Ω / (2,7+1) = 21,6Ω
There is 0% difference. :yes:

Darius

I think you missed the point. The problem is that 1/gm is NOT the correct formula for output impedance, it is only an approximation in the limit of mu>>1. If you look at the output impedance, this formula gives a 30% error for Hans's example.

And, once again, by definition, gm = mu/rp, NOT (mu + 1)/rp.

no problem ...

Originally #46 posted by SY

I think you missed the point. ... If you look at the output impedance, this formula gives a 30% error for Hans's example.

And, once again, by definition, gm = mu/rp, NOT (mu + 1)/rp.

Hi SY,
now I am totally confused.:confused: I'll think about it.

Most important is this :
Originally #46 posted by SY

... The problem is that 1/gm is NOT the correct formula for output impedance, it is only an approximation in the limit of mu>>1. ...
The ECC83 12AX7 has definitely µ>>1. Thus my calculation is correct. ;)

Back to topic please, thanks!

Kind regards,
Darius :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.