• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cascode RIAA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you go back to my first post I changed the original cascode for a pentode. It is also below. Remembered I had a bunch of 6F12P lying around. Simmed they look much better than than cascode so I will eventually give them a try. Have no idea of how prone they are to microphony and noise, though. The inverse RIAA is as exact as it can be and also includes the fourth...

Attachments

• kfp.png
    kfp.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 564
I can't get the schematics in the original post to show, so I may be reinventing the wheel here (and I am certainly stealing from Vacuum State), but I have been contemplating a simple phono stage with a hybrid cascode on the input. Any thought about the wisdom of the design? As SY pointed out, the cascode keeps the Zout of the first stage constant. The resistor under the JFET should allow for some gain tailoring. The RIAA values were just from a calculator and will need to be tinkered with a bit. What else am I missing?

Attachments

• cascode_riaa.png
    cascode_riaa.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 300
Both good suggestions. I added a cap to bypass the grid reference. I also used a simple shunt reg for the HT, and a regulator for the heaters. The heater reg uses schottky rectifiers and a 6.3V reg with 0.2V of dropout. Also, since power transformers with dual 6.3V windings are cheap and common, for the ~10V supply for the grids, I used a voltage doubler + regulator + CCSes feeding the shunt reg.

Anyhow, here's a first go at a PCB. Still plenty to do, but it is a start (there are ground planes that are not shown).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.