Carver's tracking downconverter - thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
tracking etc

I looked at the BASH site, and I really like the principle they used. I was not aware of these products.

What they do may not produce an amp with continuous 100W output, although for music use it should be more than enough. I think it is a very sensible approach. In another thread I have argued that sizing an amp for continuous 100W output and then using it on music is not very good engineering.

If these amps have no balls in car stereo, it may be due to the fact that in car systems very high continuous levels (inefficient speakers) seem to be the norm, not to speak of the strongly compressed signals used in broadcast programs.

Jan Didden

Post Script

Mind you, I'm not picking on the compact HiFonics amps...very clever for the application. Space is at a premium in most vehicles.

Interesting BASH information as well.

I just shudder when the buying public is subjected to technobabble...the end result is a distrust of what proves to be solid technology. ;)

"Apparently ADI has found a way to put a system as the BASH amp in a single chip....
Check out the AD8393. I wonder how they do it, must be some type of capacitive voltage doubler."

Yea, these things are quite the rage now. I think that I saw similar parts from either Philips or ST, or maybe both.

They look look they have capacitave voltage multipliers to increase the rails, then they appear to work in Class G type mode, I don't see any reference to PWM for the extra rails.

Lukas

Class G-Project

If anyone is really interested in pursuing this topic on a DIY basis, Doug Self has published the schemiatic for a class-G amp. Kit and boards are available.

To my eye it looks like his "Blameless Amp" topology modified with inner and outer rail. The claimed THD+N is close to class B, he says.

I gather that the switching noise is the compromise one suffers with all Class G,H,D, BASH, Carver/Sunfire schemes. The agrument in favor seems to be that although they still are inferior in that regard to class B but pushed the limits enough to fall to an inaudible level. The motivation for the extra effort is obviously( to me) to be able to package five or more channels of substantial amplification into a "consumer friendly" emclosure. For traditional 2-channel stereo application, I doubt the effort is worthwhile.

By the way I use a Carver M-400, "cube" of considerable age and find it quite satisfactory as used.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.