Carver Amazing Platinum Speakers, Ribbon & Surround Repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a chance to get some Carver Amazing Platinum speakers for $225. The problem is that one of the ribbons is torn and the woofers need to get new surrounds. I know carversound offers repair but the 60" ribbon is around $500 plus shipping to NY, probably another $150 there and back. Anyone have any experience on a DIY repair?

I'm thinking I should jump on the speakers since they are so rare but spending another grand+ on the ribbon and surrounds is not something I could do.

Thanks

The ribbon and its tensioning was the whole key to the sound of the Carver speakers. Surrounds are well within most DIY skills, but once torn almost certainly the ribbon should be replaced by someone that knows what they are doing and more importantly has jigs setup to do it.

I went to pick them up from the seller and the frames were cracked and one of the ribbon frames was on a concrete floor, soaked up water and swelled. There is no way a ribbon repairer could've gotten a tight ribbon using it. It was so bad that the MDF was spongy and would not lie flat. I offered him $150 and he said no so I left. Oh well, hopefully these will cross my path again in the future, I was really looking forward to having them repaired.

He had one that the frame was ok but the ribbon was torn, they were full 60". He said he as going to part out on Ebay.

I just happened to stumble across this thread. I have a pair of Carver Platinum ribbons that I originally bought as part of a DIY project. I mounted them and paired them with sealed subs each containing an NHT 12" driver.

The ribbons have been in my closet for 10 years - I don't have a space that does them justice. They worked fine the last time I fired them up.

I'd be happy to let them go for a reasonable price either with or without the panels they're mounted in, though I don't know much about shipping them safely.

cheers,
Jerry

Im the guy with Platinums!

Hello all,

I originally purchased these out of a storage unit in the North Western suburbs about a year and a half ago for $250. The guy I bought them from had just posted them and was getting bombarded with phone calls about them, but I was the first to agree to pick them up that day.

The deal was that they only supposedly needed one tweeter repaired. When I got their to pick them up we quickly loaded them into my trailer because the guy was in a hurry, and I wasn't as observant as I should have been.

Upon getting them home I noticed that the one bad tweeter was missing the front metal pannel which holds the entire ribbon assembly together. I also assumed that all 8 woofers would need re-foaming, and I was correct. I then found that the other tweeter had one section of the magnet out of alignment and was not sure of the functionality of the suposed "good tweeter".

I work at Midwest Speaker Repair in Roseville, MN and with these woofers we have been working with one of our foam manufactures to recreate the original surrounds used for these woofers, as there are currently none that work well with these drivers. These new foams are close to being complete.

I looked into replacement tweeters or repairs but never got very far.

I hate parting out speakers but unfortunately have to much invested into them to simply give them away to someone looking for a project.

I would like to clarify some of DKaudio's comments about my speakers. The frames are not cracked. One of the cabinets does appear to have had a crack on the back side of the frame, but this did not crack all the way through the frame and was repaired before it destroyed the frame. No damage is visible from the front of the speakers. And this doesn't effect the functionality of the cabinets at all.

The only sign of water damage is on the one tweeter with the missing front plate. Part of the lower MDF frame for the ribbon is swollen and would need to be repaired somehow before the ribbon repair could be done. I would assume anyone interested in these would like to find replacements anyway.

jlquinn i may be interested in your ribbons, or someone else might if they would like to restore these platinums for themselves.

I want these to be restored, but dont have the time or space to use them once they are all fixed up! I know someone can make them sing!
this is my first post on DIY audio, so im not sure if I can post my contact info, but by all means call me at 6 1 2 five zero 8 1 four 4 7 if you have any other questions. Or email me at jondriveback@gmail.com.

Attachments

• WP-1220[1].jpg
    WP-1220[1].jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 386
when you take apart the 60 inch ribbon, do you lose the tension or is the thing glued in place when its tensioned.

You would lose the tension. If there is only slight buzz going on, simply try tightening the surrounding screws before going further.

You need jigs to work on them successfully. The magnets come lose and will move around. If they get into the ribbon, the ruining of the material will follow shortly.

EV3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.