Cartridge Impedance Matching

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am getting old, I forgot about this thread.

About ten years ago I wrote an article for Audioexpress on terminating the phono cartridge. If anybody is interested I will extract and PDF the formulas for calculating the terminating values and post them. Mr. Hagerman has a nice calculator so you can see the effect of different values of terminating R and C, but he doesn't provide any method to calculate the values. It's cut and try. In March 1982, Mr. Van Alstine published an article in his newsletter on cartridge termination and provided a formula for calculating the resistance value, but didn't explain how he got the formula. I modeled the cartridge as a low pass filter (just like on Mr. Hagerman's website) which simplifies the analysis because you can ignore the RIAA preemphasis and deemphasis.

Ray

Attachments

• CartImpedance.gif
    CartImpedance.gif
    12 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Mr. Dell is one of my favorite publishers. I have been reading his publications since the 1970s.
Thats an interesting article. They try to model the entire electro-mechanical system. I didn't even attempt that. There is little that you as a user can do about the cartridge mechanical response unless your last name is Grado. All my article did was explain how to calculate the terminating R and C for a flat electrical frequency response and a given cut off (-3 dB) frequency. It's not heavy on math because that turns off lots of people. Tried to keep it simple for the non-engineers.

Ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.