Carlos AD815 preamp PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well Al,

Carlos (among others) has no opportunity to post here.....so why you can imagine his will, especially when this thread get this route?
Please fell free to tell us the truth abot sending this person (among others) to the sin-bin......
And ask Carlos...you have his PM, I know.

Carsten

Franz G said:
But: could you explain me, why this project / thread is sailing under the name Carlos?
Because the exact part values are fiddled out by Carlos, and this makes it special und a little bit more then a simple inverting amplifier topology. Carlos keeps saying (there is another place on the web where his still does, you know :rolleyes: ) the exact component values are vital for the sound of the amp. And that makes it his design.

@PM: You may give this thread any title you like, that doesn't change a thing on the problem.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Carsten,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79338

Hbarske

Quite right, it is his design. But he freely posted it here, so he must have expected others to make use of it. As I said earlier, this thread started last year, when he was an actively participating member, and he didn't complain then. I can understand he would be upset if someone was using the design and not crediting him for it, but they are not, so what's the problem?

I only want a little bit of fairness. I don't want to dicuss the circumstances why Carlos had to leave, that's another story.
I do understand that you don't want to delete his ideas and posts from this forum, as he, as you already said, has posted these things as a member of this site.
But: He is not anymore, and it was not his decision, and it would be nothing but fair not to support things like group buys from his designs on this site. Carlos ist history here, and if someone is willing to participate from his idea in such a manner, diyaudio.com should not be the platform for doing so.

You want to know what to do? Simply tell knabsol that diyaudio doesn't support a group buy in this case, if you want to do more tell him where he can find Carlos to ask him. That's what I'd call fairness.

Hi Holger,

I think that you have to accept the spirit in which contributions to forums like this are made.
They dont belong to diyaudio, they belong to the members, and Carlos posted here so the members could enjoy his design. What good would it do to Carlos, Diyaudio or the members if this wonderful design was taken away from this community?
Lets be reasonable about this and make cool stuff:)
BTW thanks Carlos if your watching.

As I see it, the thread originator didn't have any intention of a GB or anything like that:

knabsol said:
Hi guys!
I´m playing around a little in eagle and I´m almost finished with the AD815 preamp by CarlosFM.
But I just want to get some thoughts about the layout. Should I have a groungplance as I have now?
There are some things I know about, such as mounting holes and that it´ll be a bit tricky to solder some hole mounted components on the smd side. But that´s ok for me.
So..what´s good and bad? :)
/Christopher

It was another guy, with very little forum contribution, who asked about free lunch:

amichalik said:
This sounds like a really interesting project, and I'd love to know how the boards turn out. I'd like to build an intergrated GC and on one hand, don't want a passive linestage, but on the other hand, don't want a complex (expensive) preamp section.

I'm particulary interested if anyone makes a run of these boards. I'll certainly sign up for a set.

Just tell him to look somwhere else and the subject is closed, because: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=906952#post906952

Carlos AD815 ?

First, what would be the differance if someone did a group by or not??
has Carlos patented a design thats been used by many other commercial designers?? Last time I checked intellectual rights didnt apply to circuits only patents, and its hard to patent something that already has been used many times.
All seems pretty petty! This is a DIY forum if you dont want someone useing something you design dont post it! Some people never grow into adulthood.

First, what would be the differance if someone did a group by or not??
There's nothing wrong with a GB, as long as the designer is asked for permission. That, and only that, was the question I put at the beginning.
time I checked intellectual rights didnt apply to circuits only patents
I am afraid you don't understand it. It's not about law or patents, it's about fairness. Big difference.

How many times is this issue going to come up?! :dead:

I would like to point out that Michael Grace of Grace Designs, has been using the AD815 chip in its m901 headphone amplifier since at least 2001. It is also in the m902 http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m902/m902frame.htm
The m901 was reviewed in Stereophile March 2003.

I have been following the AD815 preamp thread since its inception by Carlos, and I know for sure that the m901 predates this (2001). So if we are arguing over who did it first...it certainly wasn't Carlos. What Carlos did do was give us all a nice easy to follow design with resistor values, capacitor values, and an easy to use nulling circut. I have yet to see anyone on this board suggest that we should send money to Sakura systems for releasing the Gaincard that has inspired so many creations here, but we do recognize that they introduced the concept to most of us (and yes I know they were not the first). Honestly, lets give Carlos the credit he deserves for introducing us to this chip and leave the thread title alone.

As for the subject of group buys on somone elses design, I consider it a courtesy to check with someone else before "copying" their design. By that I mean a near duplicate of an original PCB with no "unique" changes. However what we are arguing about here is really not the same thing. What Carlos gave us was a schematic...and a PCB layout and a schematic are worlds apart! By all rights the PCB design offered here is unique in it's own right, as it addresses several issues such as heat dissipation, grounding parts placement etc. The PCB is in no way telling you what resistor vlaues you have to use, or what capacitor values you can use..so it is in fact NOT a copy of anyones work. Honestly if someone wants to design a PCB where another opted not to, more power to them, I could care less if it's for profit or not! If you don't like the idea...don't buy one, but don't deny the others who want one the
opportunity. Let us not forget that Carlos is more than free to design his own PCB and sell it whenever he would like to, if it is nice enough I might even buy one!

These are my opinions, and this is the end of my rant.

G.

I´m sorry if I´ve stepped on someones toe with starting this thread. My intentions were never to make any GB of it.
My only goal with this is to add a little knowledge and understaning in audio electronics. I followed Carlos circuit because it was an not too complicated one and a good start for me since I had most of the components.
I hope noone´s having an angry eye on me now. Anyway, the pcb is currently etching in the garage...I better go have a look at it!
Thanks for all your help so far, especially to carlos for making this public on this forum.
I´ll be back from the garage...:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.