Car Subs for Home Use Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One bad thing about most car audio drivers, the manu. dont take proper measurements for them and the T/S are usually way off

If you have the means to get your own, i would reccomend doing so.
That being said, they work very well
tn_DSC_0153.JPG

Great Looking Box

Camaudio,

Hey really like your box, very good! Can you pass on any of the info, or is it trade secrete?

I tried 3 P2s about a years ago, made a 1” mdf box, solid as a rock. I played it for 5 minutes and it was just too much for the HT room. It would be great for a car, Tahoe, etc.

Pic attached:

I’d be glad to let somebody have, well below cost of parts/material, say $100 bucks. It’s heavy though, so shipping is a problem.

3 P2 8" Rockford Woofers, dual 2 ohm voice coils (each).

Attachments

• 3 p2s.JPG
    3 p2s.JPG
    621.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Camaudio,

Hey really like your box, very good! Can you pass on any of the info, or is it trade secrete?

I tried 3 P2s about a years ago, made a 1” mdf box, solid as a rock. I played it for 5 minutes and it was just too much for the HT room. It would be great for a car, Tahoe, etc.

Pic attached:

I’d be glad to let somebody have, well below cost of parts/material, say $100 bucks. It’s heavy though, so shipping is a problem.

P2 Rockford Woofers, dual 2 ohm voice coils (each).

Thanks!

The whole idea of the build was just to test out how well i could radius corian, so since i had a extra plate amp and sub i decided to make a small subwoofer. It turned out so well (even though i kinda just threw it together) that i now use it in my bedroom.

Here are some build pictures
Index of /Pics/Audio/Microdubu

the front and back are 1" but the rest is only 1/2"
Weight comes in at a little over 100lbs

You came up with a clever design, have no idea how you would bend corain. It would be pretty easy to use layers of 1/8” or 1/4"” masonite to make the bends.

Pics, I had a feeling you may own or work at a corain/cabinite shop (-; (-;

Square port I see ~ I wondered about that also.

I have a buddy that has a 4 10” Infinity speakers in 3cf ported cabinets in his bedroom. More bass than I have every heard!!! Like the drywall is going to implode into the room.

He was a bit vague about the woofers, said that they don’t make them any more but they were $250 each and have a 3” inch throw. He said that the support mag structures were “turned”.

I bet I could find one on ebay, wish I knew the model number………..

Type X-1000wrms, nice subs. Their new 8" Type R is meant to be something else-

Jim Walter, of Alpine, posted this on Diyma:
"Just put up a 138.7dB in Street A w/ 3x 843D's ported @ 45-50ish. Ran side by side w 3 ported Sundown 15s that did 139.9. Not sure what kind of woofers but relative to that it put a smile on our faces." Obviously I know it's not all about SPL, these do SQ very well too (apparently)

Or if you've got a real penchant for SPL how about over 150dB off 1x 8"?
150.2 "Outlaw" - Single 8" Woofer - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality

I have a buddy that has a 4 10” Infinity speakers in 3cf ported cabinets in his bedroom. More bass than I have every heard!!! Like the drywall is going to implode into the room.

He was a bit vague about the woofers, said that they don’t make them any more but they were $250 each and have a 3” inch throw. He said that the support mag structures were “turned”.

I bet I could find one on ebay, wish I knew the model number………..

Probably the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10V, though they won't do 3" throw-maybe 3" coils? Useful "Q" plug is the motor so you can change the Q of the driver depending on the box you want it in:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/products/10946_eprint.pdf

Yeah, I can speak to this. I've tried to get a cheap JBL W15Gti off craigslist for some time (Differential drive... actually useful at low frequencies!) but never found one worth using.

I'm curious, what was wrong with them? Physically beat up? I would think that of all car subs that WGTi's are the hardest to destroy, because the magnetic braking inherent to Differential Drive will keep excursion in check.

Admittedly, I bought mine new only used mine at home, not in a car, and of all of the drivers I've played the only ones I've managed to blow in use were Jordan Modules or JX53's, but it strikes me that the W15GTi would be a very hard driver to mess up.

Boo hoo... I'll have to make do with a pair of Creative Sound Trio 12"s with 15" passive radiators.

Unless you use a lot more power, much bigger boxes, or you have a newfound desire to hit 10Hz, a W15GTi probably wouldn't give you anything you don't already have.

One bad thing about most car audio drivers, the manu. dont take proper measurements for them and the T/S are usually way off

Any driver, especially if one intends to use it in a complicated enclosure (read: anything but closed box) should be measured first. And it's very easy to do today, using FuzzMeasure and a simple impedance jig on a Mac, or a WT3 on a not-a-Mac.

That's beautiful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.