Car audio versus HiFi drivers in ELF or Linkwitz subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi again.

It's here. perhaps I should have posted a link in the first place/been clear about where to find it. Sorry bout that.

It's used already in two available designs, Walt de Jong's Punisher and stepped horn, and makes for a very compact br.

Here's the t/s params for the 12.00 SW. It's available in the US from USSPEAKERS.com and from the UK at proaudioparts.co.uk (linked to Void Acoustics)

Resonant Frequency (fs) 43.61 Hz
Impedance (Re) 6.73 ohms
Electrical Factor(Qes) .4
Mechanical Q (Qms) 6.99
Total Q (Qts) .38
Compliance Equiv. Vol. (Vas) 32 Liters/1.13cu. ft.
Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax) 11.5mm
BL Factor 25.28 T-M
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)m2 0.049m2
Reference Efficiency .65%
Coil Inductance (Le) 2.35mH

Power handling is 1000W AES
Sensitivity on spec sheet is 91dB

If you build a heavy fill box with a Vt of 32.15L you will have a .707Q and not have to worry about exceeding Xmax even down at 1Hz.

What is the resonance frequency at the volume? WinISD says 50 Hz, but because it doesn't take fill into account, it's probably not accurate.

You saying this kind of makes me rethink my own sub. As you know, it's the Peerless 830847. Resonance at 50 Hz, equalized with ELF. Excursion is a bit high on the very bottom end, and if that can be improved, I'm all for it. At the moment, it doesn't have that much filling.

What are the effects on the resonance frequency by adding filling?

Maybe I should get Bass Box Pro and fiddle with the settings myself.

@aubergine
That drivers seems to have a somewhat high Fs for equalized operation, but I'll pass the info on.

Hi :)

You won't be able to do anything with the excursion except render it less of a problem by changing to a driver that is happy with that level of excursion.

The excursion will be the same for that frequency and SPL for any same size driver, the only difference the box size or EQ makes is the amount of power the driver needs to get there.

So you need to either fit a subsonic filter or accept worse F3 or SPL. Or change to a higher excursion driver or a bigger one and more powerful amp too (assuming same size box retained).

Hi Richie, long time no see :)

That explains why so many of the drivers I modeled have the same excursion curve :)

For my sub, it would be icing on the cake. It performs nicely, it's just that some severe earthquake bass sounds somewhat distorted (which is not really noticeable when the rest of the speakers are playing as well). And for bass like that, which is only meant to shake things, it doesn't really matter.

One thing I still have to do, is determine if the distortion I hear is because of the driver reaching outside of it's Xmax, or whether it's amplifier clipping. The problem is, I don't dare sine testing at that power... Perhaps unjustified.

I think I will be designing a diagnostic port to place on the backplate, with which I can measure input signal, output signal, supply voltage, etc (all with high source impedance, for safety). That would be more convenient than opening it up all the time, and leave all kinds of dangerous parts exposed.

Here are some Bass Box pro graphs

This is xmax @ 400 Watts of the 53L boxes (the one with Higher excursion is the one with heavy fill)

53LXmax400W.jpg

Here are the 32.15L boxes again Higher excursion is heavy fill

32_15LXmax.jpg

The final is an SPL comparison at 400 Watts (Keep in mind that the 53L box has exceeded Xmax at a certain frequency so this is not the real out put).

53vs32L.jpg

You can get about 2 dB more out of the Larger box until Xmax is reached. So both boxes have roughly the same output capability, just you can't over excurd the smaller box down Bellow 1Hz if you keep it to 400Watts RMS. You will start exceeding xmax in the larger box down in the low 20's around 250Watts.

This is in contradiction with what Richie said. Have you also tried this in real life? I mean, if I were to put a block of wood in my sub and fill it up heavily, I would get the same SPL with lower excursion?

I would have expected excursion to remain the same for any SPL, but increased power requirements because of the higher Fc.

It's not a contradiction, there is a point when you make the box so small that it needs so much power to achieve your wanted response that it exceeds the voice coil capacity. This is what he is modelling, it is a 400W power input against excursion which will change with box size/filling. And as excursion is directly related to SPL the lower excursion means lower SPL.

It is a bit of a red herring and won't really help with your issue that you feel there is too much excursion at your current F3 and SPL desires. That is only solvable by going vented or using a different driver. What it is showing is that you need to consider the power you have available and make sure it's not too much for the box size you are using, to stay within Xmax, or too much for the coil.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.