Capacitor Burn-In/Break-In

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Refreshing this since the thread was linked in my audio group's newsletter -- what the first couple of pictures illustrate is the ringing of the tank circuit formed by the leakage inductance and capacitance of the diode PN junction, a la:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The ESR of the capacitor may changes as the device is heated, or it reaches some kind of electrochemical "stasis" with respect to the changing current.

Elgar could probably have done a better design job around the rectifier with a polypropylene capacitor and discharge resistor.

Capacitor burn-in and does it work

I can tell you that when a film capacitor is subjected to "burn-in" its generally under accelerated conditions. These conditions can physically change the materials of the unit. One characteristic that many people of this forum forget is the electro-mechanical forces involved within a capacitor. Also, that most of the materials change physically under heating.

I can get into a multi-page discussion on what burn-in effects, but its really dependent on the actual construction of the capacitor. Much to lengthy for a discussion here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.