Can't believe what's here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some thing most of us can agree on......finally!

Murphy's, yes. But Guinness isn't bad, unless you mean that swill in the cans. Dreadful.

The Imperial stout is too winey for me, but I can see where Grey would enjoy it. The Nut Brown and Porter are also very good.

As for Paulaner:

Salvator, or forget it. Even DiceMan is with me on that one. The hefe-weissen is not bad, just not my type of brew.

Wow....7 posts in a row without any bad blood or feuding. A record for this week.

Jocko

From a bottle or the tap

Or I don't drink it. Bottled seems best to me.

I used to enjoy trying everything I could.

Guiness from a bottle, Pauli Girl Dark ( or Beck's) I always come back to. I notice they also taste the same over there as they do here.

I started cutting back to loose weight - Then I noticed I feel better and sleep better when I don't drink anything -

However, I can't imagine pizza without beer, or a day on the lake either, for that matter

Let's keep pushing that record on up:D

Later

Ken L:Popworm:

Warsteiner is the best.

Favourite Pils is Karlsberg. but when it comes to Weissbier I love Paulaner. All cold of course and with foam on top. I don´t really prefer English beer specially the way it is served. Another favourate is Butweiser from Checkish Republic. (I think I wrote that totaly wrong)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I don´t really prefer English beer specially the way it is served.

Because English, ( and Welsh and Scottish) Ales, ( not Lagers) are brewed with many more flavouring ingredients, ( some have four or five different types of hops!), they are served warmer to appreciate the taste, as chilling beer deadens the tastebuds. Well, to get factual, it actually reduces the amount of surface evaporation, causing less aromatics to be taken into the nasal cavity, as smell and not taste is most important in distinguishing flavour.

This is why Belgian beers are also served warmer than normal in Europe.

Wombat - the Irish won't be happy to be called British, they are a little sensitive about that! Guinness is only good in Ireland, it really doesn't travel, and tastes utterly different. I'd always been told that, but as a guinness hater, was suprised to be totally converted to the stuff on holiday in Ireland (I reverted on return, despite trying it out again - no comparison). German lager is great, but Czech is even better (pilsner urquell)

Prometheus - my vote goes to a pint of Shepherd Neame Best, but it has to be drunk in prefect condition or it is very average. Again, it doesn't travel, so you have to be within like 10/20 miles of Faversham where its brewed. Spitfire is its stronger and less subtle cousin, available in bottles, but its not my bag.

Anyway its midday, so must stop thinking about beer.

Cheers, Jake

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I should come to England and taste original English beer ..LOL
So what is the best beer over there?

How long you got? :)

My current fave is Fullers Honeydew ale, served bottled or from the barrel, light, tasty, and brewed organically, but beer is like my favorite film or album, it changes weekly!

Jake- is Shepherd Neame not brewed in Maidstone any more?

A beer for each occasion I'd say.

Stiegl Goldbräu (Austria) for the summer thirst.
BASS Pale Ale (England) for the evening movie.
McEwans India Pale Ale (Scotland) for the building session.

Please also let me mention the late Gammelbrygd (Sweden) RIP 1986-1996 which was probably one of the best beers in the world. A year brew. Brewed in November sold from April and drunk as vintage for up to 5 years after brewing. Every bottle with a year opener of which I have hundreds. Alas, no more. I bought the last couple of boxes of the '96 when they ceased production. :RIP:

/UrSv

Paulaner :yuck: :yuck:
Right now came home from Oktoberfest (what a night....), still have :h_ache: :h_ache: from Paulaner.
Salvator, or forget it. Even DiceMan is with me on that one. The hefe-weissen is not bad, just not my type of brew.
I´d say Augustiner or forget it.

as for the Weißbiers:

Forget all the stuff from the big breweries.
"Erdinger Weißbier" or "Karg" for instance is much better than any of them - runs down like oil:drink: (ahhh: finally found a good reason to use this icon too)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Christoph

Yup, once had a fun night drinking Karg in a bar in Hanover :D it must have travelled well from Bavaria... never seen it since though:bawling:

Jake, my mistake, I was thinking of the Fremlins Brewery:xeye:

UrSv, IPA was origionally brewed for export to British colonies overseas, so had to be made very strong, (about 10%abv) and with a much higher proportion of hops, but the long sea journey reduced the strength to that of a normal beer, but with a slightly mellower taste. Current pale ales are brewed to simulate that process, as expats who were rightly booted out by Navin and his mates :) ;) :) wanted the same drink when they got back to blighty.

Skol

About 6 years ago I spent 3 months travelling throughout Denmark.
I sampled beer from just about every local brewery that I could find and they were all excellent, with some of the lesser known brews rather better than the two major breweries.
Another interesting thing about Denmark is that you can buy a beer from just about anywhere - roadhouses, supermarkets, snackbars and even the local newsagent just about anytime of day or night.
Despite this the Danes seem to have a very responsible attitude towards beer and alcohol.
In contrast the Swedes have a very restrictive attitude towards alcohol, and I believe it is only available from State run outlets with limited trading hours.
The Danes tell me that the Swedes consequently have a binge attitude towards drinking and consequently turn into drunken loonies given the opportunity.
The Oz attitude is still to guzzle as much as you can before you fall down, but public education campaigns seem to be tempering this.
"jh6you - Any of you tried Korean beer? - because it makes up all women beeeeeeautiful... I'm serious tonight."
The other day I read a report of a university study on this subject.
The conclusion was that after 2 or 3 alcoholic drinks, both sexes found the opposite sex to be more attractive.

Mr Al C. O'HOLIC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.