Canadian suppliers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does Mouser ship across the border so you get nailed for customs clearance charges? I may have avoided that sometimes by getting them to ship by mail, but that's very slow. If Mouser has made an arrangement like Digikey to make the border transparent, that would be great.

As for the original question, check the yellow pages... there's gotta be a couple of stores that cater to the radio/alarm/service/hobby crowd, possibly part of a regional chain. In little old Nanaimo I can go to Queale Electronics and buy Switchcraft and Neutrik audio connectors off the pegboard.

Lee's Electronics in Vancouver has some cool parts like Alps pots (hopefully genuine). Lee's Electronic Components

Pacific Semiconductor is good for Japanese semiconductors.Pacific Semiconductors Inc.

dangus said:
Does Mouser ship across the border so you get nailed for customs clearance charges? I may have avoided that sometimes by getting them to ship by mail, but that's very slow. If Mouser has made an arrangement like Digikey to make the border transparent, that would be great.

The last order I got from Mouser with the flat rate shipping (via courier) did not have brokerage charges added- like Digikey. I think that you do pay the sales taxes in both cases. It was always the $30++ brokerage charges that irked me, anyway.

John

dangus said:
In little old Nanaimo I can go to Queale Electronics and buy Switchcraft and Neutrik audio connectors off the pegboard.
Queale can be handy if you know exactly what you want- most of their 'house brand' connectors, pots, etc are rubbish.
Queale's pricing is 'all over the map', so you should check the prices online before heading out the door with shopping list in hand.
Recent examples:
Switchcraft 1/4" phone plug- $12CDN.
5x20 fuses (box of 5)- $15CDN- Mouser price $4.50 US
1pc TO-220 insulator- $3.25CDN !!(in a bag with nut and bolt-yay!)

OTOH, Xcelite nippers(Made in USA)- $5.75CDN, PartsExpress $6.50US
Weller soldering iron tips-same as US price (converted to Cdn).

I do prefer to support local businesses, but it is tricky when you can't trust them not to gouge you when you least expect it.

As an aside, whenever I'm in a place (like my local Queale) where a lot of the customers are buying 'on account'- especially if it is for local government/police/military, I'm wary. First, the account buyer usually doesn't care what the price is, since he's not footing the bill. Second, 'on account' purchases may be getting a discount (15-40% not unusual), so you are making up for that 'lost profit' with your 'cash sale'.

Cheers
John

Joined 2002
Paid Member
UPS has a very high brokerage fee and I don't use them.
USPS is the way to ship, there fees are fair, and can ship
Flat Rate too... Envelope I charge $13.50 for shipping
and can ship up to 4lbs in there envelope. They also
have a Flat Rate box that can ship up to 20 lbs and I charge
$28.50.. It takes 7-10 days to get there, anywhere in Canada.

Since the new bar codes on the boxes I have not lost a box so far.. And send quite a lot to Canada...

Steve @ Apex Jr.

Apex Jr said:
. It takes 7-10 days to get there, anywhere in Canada.
Since the new bar codes on the boxes I have not lost a box so far.. And send quite a lot to Canada...
Steve @ Apex Jr.

As one of Steve's satisfied Canadian customers, I want to add that Steve will go out of his way to figure out the most economical way to ship your 'stuff', even if it means suggesting that an item be 'left until the next order' on occasion.
The alternative (which I've elected once or twice) is to buy a bunch more stuff so that you can fill up TWO flat rate boxes!
:)

John

Canadian Dist

Two suppliers that come to mind and with whom I have dealt are Creative Sound Solutions in Abbotsford, BC and SMI Industrial Electronics in Langley, BC.
Bob at CSS is great to deal with and has super pricing and excellent warranties with unique speaker drivers, etc that he has had designed and made.
Dave at SMI is very personable and easy to deal with, plus he keeps an amazing stock of everything electronic on hand. His website is down right now(rebuilding) but info is still useful. www.smi-elec.com and www.creativesound.ca are the two websites

Obligatory "Me three!"

Although all I've bought from Steve (so far) was some tin boxes that he basically gave away for the shipping cost - impressive enough in itself, I suppose - I was most pleased with his attitude, service, and communication. I suspect I may buy more from this source.

Perhaps we can name him an "honorary Canadian source". :D

Regards.

Aengus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.