• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Canada. Rega3 anyone want it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"A new Hadcock may outwardly resemble the 30 year old one, but that is as close as they get, the new one is at a whole new level of execution... and it would be new, not 30 years old."

Are you sure about it Dave?
It's a unipivot without bearing per se (it actualy has some;)and I remember reading how quality of hadcocks clapsed with the death of proprietor and only now when Len Gregory took over the supervision of Hadcock manufacturing and with some "cosmetic" changes the arms sell for $1k in its cheapest configuration thanks to it's pairing with Music Maker cartridges. Anyway I hope you'll get it ,cuz you can utilise it's potential better than girl in music store or music lover with no clue.
regards, l

You don't miss anything unless you're willing to part with $1300 for Music Maker cart;@) The Hadcocks are said to be one of the most "musical" arms on the market while Regas are regarded as "underperforming" by the ones "who know"
one of them said they are better than $$$ Moerch (Morch) unipivots which retail quite a bit more. (I have a Music Maker III cart and can confirm that it's much better on old Grace 707 than on Rega RB1000. I like Rega arm but I do have sometimes an impression that it is too "stiff" sounding) .

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wait, am I missing something? What's the deal with a Hadcock arm compared to, say, a Rega RB250 or RB300?

Given the choice between RB250, 300 and a Hadcock of this vintage, i'd choose an RB250 and mod it up. The Hadcock was in the same league performance wise as a Grace 704/714, but not as well built. The Lurne i should never have parted with was in a whole nuther league.

dave

Given the choice between RB250, 300 and a Hadcock of this vintage, i'd choose an RB250 and mod it up. The Hadcock was in the same league performance wise as a Grace 704/714, but not as well built. The Lurne i should never have parted with was in a whole nuther league.

dave

Thanks for the breakdown, Dave; it seems I've a lot more to learn about the nuances, differences, and the history of the evolution of tonearms!

I'm just a kid :rolleyes:

I thought the RB250 would be a better arm because of the mods that can be done to it after the fact, and the little difference between the 250 and 300 saves me some coin ;) but I've never heard the name Hadcock before this thread!

So many projects to do, I can't wait for my exams to be over! Merry Christmas, all :hohoho:

"The Lurne i should never have parted with was in a whole nuther league."
I almost never see Lurne tables used anywhere. Personaly I see modding Rega as a waste of money. The only ( and for some huge) advantage Rega has it can take MC cart which most of light vintage arms can't do.
But OK Dave you convinced me, and I will send you a vintage Rega RB250 for Hadcock:) -my lost , your gain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.