Can you turn a woofer into a full range driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
You can do this.

A SEAS P17RCY midbass driver (small woofer) turned into a full range coaxial. Tweeter is a VIFA D25AC-05.

A GOLDWOOD GW-S525 5 1/4 inch small midbass turned into a full range coaxial with the addition of a BOSTON Neo 5t car tweeter.

Attachments

• DSCF0565.jpg
    DSCF0565.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 128
  • SMALPART.jpg
    SMALPART.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 126
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
I have four of these from around 1988, three of them might get "whizzered", although I should experiment on more junk from the recycle store first.

Stereo pictures by kach22i - Photobucket
Radio-shack-4inchwoofer-package.jpg

Those were never designed for full range. Even though they are fairly wide range, if you modify them they'll forever be ruined. I used some of them back in the late 80s and I liked them very much. If I had four of them today, I'd make a pair of two way MTMs using some nice small 19mm dome tweeters and an uncomplicated crossover.

I'm willing to bet that there IS some kind of glue/resin filling the holes between the weave on your carbon fiber woofers. See if you can't blow through the cone if you press your lips onto it.
I did a blow-thru test last week but did not get around to posting it.

There was very limited blow through, but it was there.

I just could not bring myself to explore with a pin, although I do have Frankenstein style plans for the CF speakers.;)

My best whizzers which I did not post were applied to the largest drivers. In the end they just had too much mass which lead me into another area of exploration.

I knew what I wanted to do and researched it, did not take long to find that similar but not exactly the same things are on certain hi-end speakers already. I'm not sure that I've invented anything new, not very likely but it was fun taking the long way there.

I did my own thing based on my own experiences with materials, mostly perceptions/intuition gained regarding the resonance of materials experiments I did on/with my turntable a few years ago.

I think I know what common metals sound like, acrylic, glass, wood, rubber and so forth just by placing them under my turntable and hearing the coloration. Taking these basic sonic characteristics into cone/cap/whizzer treatments may be a stretch but I enjoy a good stretch once in a while.:D

The old Rat Shack drivers served me well in the experiments, not wasted at all.

I may indeed be adding a tweeter, but will get the project assembled before adding one - if needed at all. This is all part of a much larger project, one which is a bit too far out there to post at the moment. As you know by now, I have little fear when it comes to trying new things.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.