Can YOU hear 20khz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"I recall becoming nausiated at a low tone/high sound pressure level capability demonstration of the ML Statement 1st ed in Paris around 1988.
Good thing i only had a coffee and croissants before visiting that mondaine audio place."

Many people come out pale after going inside car audio SPL test room.

Crystal....

So I may assume, after reading all these comments, that many of you cannot hear but only see when crystal shatters (at 20Khz).

Interesting...

May i give my 2 cents of info...
I have hearing problems but they relate to attention problems
Doctor says that most hearing problems are related to some sort of ADD linked to nerves that control the hearing ........

Jean-Pierre

"I can't hear anything below 25hz"
you can feel it though
jacco vermeulen said:

I recall becoming nausiated at a low tone/high sound pressure level capability demonstration of the ML Statement 1st ed in Paris around 1988.
Good thing i only had a coffee and croissants before visiting that mondaine audio place.

I can't find the link, but some professor or students from Cal Tech did a study at a coffee house.....they played music at sub-sonic levels only (not within our normal hearing range) , and noticed the customers tapping their feet to the beat/ rhythm.

I also used to listen to a deaf radio DJ. He hosted a Blues show (KSPC) . He would put his head right next to the speakers, and "listened" by "feeling" the sound pressures.

=FB=

Some new info.
I told my ENT doctor about my results with high frequencies and he said that he had done some research on the matter of high freq hearing.The main problem he told me from a clinical standpoint is that there are still no technical standards regarding testing above 8khz and furthermore there are no standard guidelines to interpreting any results clinically.
I performed the audio test on my wife and she also could not hear above 16khz.I realized also that my right ear can hear 18khz but at quite high levels around 90-100db.
Makes me feel better.

the friendly non-linearity

One interesting aspect of this subject is that our ears are a bit non-linear. Sometimes you actually hear 3 or 4 partials when you listen to a pure tone. Has someone ever tried this experiment?

Now a story: A teacher of mine studied in japan, and he knew a researcher there that made once an experiment putting lots of people to listen to indonesian gamelan music: a group listened to it recorded with 20Hz band, and the other listened to a recording (and reproduction!) with higher band. He claims there was a detectable difference of how many people liked it, or something like that... I don't have details.

You guys should asked some Indonesian here :D

well, gamelan is not exactly Indonesian, it's one of the Indonesian ethnic language(Java language), mostly if you say gamelan to Java people,it will mean the gamelan instrument. and yes it's hit like hammering.

hammer in Indonesian = Palu

Fridge = Kulkas = Cool Case??

protos said:
It´s all very well to worry that your tweeter or your amp is down 1db at 20 khz but can you really hear that far?
Recently I had a full battery of audio tests at the ENT (ear,nose,throat) doctor and he said I had excellent hearing.
However his as well most doctors tests are between 250hz and 8 or 10khz.
I knew from a special cd I have that my hearing at very high frquencies i.e over 14khz was rolling off quickly compared to the mean ideal.
So I set up an audiogram test at home with the special cd (20hz to 20 khz) and also used my 18 year old son to compare.
My son had excellent hearing especially at high frequencies where at 20khz he was almost 30db (more sensitive) above the mean level!
In my case and with the same 0db calibration my hearing matched his up to 12khz which is very good I think for my age (48).
However after 12 khz I have a sharp roll off and I am 30 db down at 16khz (compared to the ideal mean curve)which is absolutely the last frequency I can hear irrespective of level.
If I were a hi-fi component I would be deemed a disaster!
However in a log graph having almost 91/2 octaves of excellent and flat hearing it does not look too bad.
Depends how you look at it I guess.
How do you fare?

You may be hearing a harmonic. Did you check the purity of the waveform with a distortion analyzer?

Now a story: A teacher of mine studied in japan, and he knew a researcher there that made once an experiment putting lots of people to listen to indonesian gamelan music: a group listened to it recorded with 20Hz band, and the other listened to a recording (and reproduction!) with higher band. He claims there was a detectable difference of how many people liked it, or something like that... I don't have details.

When I once heard gamelan music live I immediately though that this would be a good "source" for an audiophile recording.

On topic: I recently tried it with a piezo and a function generator. It showed that my hearing is dropping between 17 and 18 kHz which isn't that bad for my age (late 40ies) IMO - specially when one takes into consideration that I listened to very loud music when I was younger.

Regards

Charles

I am 16.
I can hear 19khz fine after that it rolls of quick. I can hear up to 21khz but only if it is loud.
I was also fooling around with my sub the other day. Again lower than 24hz my hearing start rolling off, at 8hz i can still hear a tone if the woofer is maxed with my ear next to it.

A few years ago $ensible sound reviewed software that allowed audiophiles to measure their personal frequency response. I'm curious how the prior posters measured their response curves. What was used to generate the tones, what was the protocol etc.

Repeating a comment from previous occasions: if you ever get a chance to inset a 1/3 octave RTA (real time analyzer) in your signal path (between CD player and receiver or between pre- and power- amp) do so. You can remove it later, but watch the display regularly for a few months. It is interesting to see how much HF (>10kHz) content exists or doesn't exist in various recordings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.