• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Can you classify condition of tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My budy had the jet city 50watter and I had some of the cheap rubys and the GEC Kt88s at the time now Don't ever do this for extended periods of time the transformers are not up to kt88 spec really but we popped em in for the hell of it xD and you know what they both really sounded amazing but the GEC was in a league of its own stacked 2 overdrive pedals and attenuate running into a stereo setup total 80s meltdown lol

JRG,

Your posts would be MUCH easier to read if you would use periods and capitalize sentences. I know you have those on the "thing" you are typing with...:D:D:):)

Thanks Bruddah

before you can classify...you need a standard...it's amazing that a lot of sellers think if a tube tests like a new tube does...it is an unused tube or New Old Stock. Even more funny...they are using tube testers that either test emissions only (on purpose) or testers that do not even list the subject tube.....example....8417 and KT-90 tubes. So if my 3 year old light bulb with an expected life of 7 years draws 100watts its a NOS light bulb.

Can you come up with a kind of classification treating electrical characterstic seperately. And for specific tubes, for specific class of amplification?

i.e.

Tube: KT88

Condition: Excellent
Class A amplification:
Anode current: Ia within 10% of expected
Gas current: smaller than 1uA
Mutual Conductance: Gm within 10% of expected.
Insulation: Over 5M Ohms.

Condition: Good
Class A amplification:
Anode current: Ia within 30% of expected
Gas current: smaller than 2uA
Mutual Conductance: Gm within 30% of expected.

ETC

Class AB1:
Condition: Excellent
Class A amplification:
Anode current: Ia within 10% of expected
Gas current: smaller than 1uA
Mutual Conductance: Gm within 10% of expected.
ETC ETC.

Something like the above.

Last edited:
It is good practice to do that with the buyer but some sellers don't even respond when you send them email about the item etc so it kinda is like shooting in the dark so to speak but you can get some good deals on ebay with tubes that are perfectly fine and will last for years

if somebody sends me email without punctuation etc that means that that somebody does not mind if i am too kinda too lazy to read and try to understand what he means if he does not bother to write such a way it is easier to read he probably will not bother to read what i reply anyway so why to bother and reply

if somebody sends me email without punctuation etc that means that that somebody does not mind if i am too kinda too lazy to read and try to understand what he means if he does not bother to write such a way it is easier to read he probably will not bother to read what i reply anyway so why to bother and reply

I'm sorry your handicapped then, learn to ******* read, not everything has to be perfect *******

Real ******* mature man its like look I'm a ******* troll I suck so I will go around looking for people to correct their minor grammar and punctuation errors Because I can't ******* Read grow the **** up

JRG,

Do you write that way because you really don't know how to put a period at the end of a sentence? Or is it because the "thing" you are using makes it so difficult you don't want to bother? Brother, it AIN'T EASY reading the stuff you post!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.