Can two CS8412 sound different ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have

DIP:

GTABVF9442
GTADJG9725
GTACTG9924

SMD:

GYACGG9525
GYAJHG9708
GYAYCG9727

Is last letter the revision letter "F" before ca. 1994/5 and "G" after 1994/5 ?
Everything else makes no sense.

My impression is that DIP 97 and 99 sound the same and 94 sounds worse.

This chip thing seems bizarre....

My two chips: GYAROC9212 made in Korea, GFTAGXAF0303 made in Taiwan and better sounding.....

How could it be an F if made in 2003 when there are Gs going back to 1997?

A run of an old dye?

JP, I may be interested in one of your G chips.... PM price please or chips you may be after to swap.

"Best mod is too get rid of SPDIF and built a better DAC driven directly in the DVD/CD/harddiskplayer"

Perhaps but I have listend to a fair wack of affordable one disk players up to say USD1400.00 equivalent that have not excited me much at all. The new Lyngdorf CD is one I like a lot and is a lot better then what I have but also silly money.

Not being in a store that sell digital anymore I do not get the opportunity to pop many lids anymore so have little idea of what makes what work these days nor the same exposure to new players. I also hate the universal mech loading times of some of the new players. (They said LP lacked convenience, I can "load" and spin up an LP faster then DVDA/SACD/DVDV etc.....)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
tubenut said:

"Best mod is too get rid of SPDIF and built a better DAC driven directly in the DVD/CD/harddiskplayer"

Perhaps but I have listened to a fair wack of affordable one disk players up to say USD1400.00 equivalent that have not excited me much at all. The new Lyngdorf CD is one I like a lot and is a lot better then what I have but also silly money.

Not being in a store that sell digital anymore I do not get the opportunity to pop many lids anymore so have little idea of what makes what work these days nor the same exposure to new players. I also hate the universal mech loading times of some of the new players. (They said LP lacked convenience, I can "load" and spin up an LP faster then DVDA/SACD/DVDV etc.....)

Maybe the DAC you use now can be built into the cdplayer you have now. Or you can build a new DAC in the existing cdplayer.
That's what I meant.

Did you see the Russ White Opus DAC ??

Hi JP

I seem to have lost all my manners in the new year... THANK YOU for all your input and help here, my DAC sounds quite a lot better after chip change and monkey business ;)

The quite seriously modded Theta Data Basic II has little space for the big DS Pro Basic II pcb, I have thought in this line since I do not really use the additional inputs on the DAC these days.

The moment I see a rave for something affordable by someone I know for a smaller unit I will look at it....

Ta

G

I replaced the original loop filter 1k / 68n with 3050pf mica and 460 ohm / 150n tin foil.
No possibility for A/B can't say if sound is better.
Made A/B with and without the mica, no difference.
Added 10n Teflon to the Mica, no difference.
How large can the direct cap be made ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bernhard said:
I replaced the original loop filter 1k / 68n with 3050pf mica and 460 ohm / 150n tin foil.
No possibility for A/B can't say if sound is better.
Made A/B with and without the mica, no difference.
Added 10n Teflon to the Mica, no difference.
How large can the direct cap be made ?

Please first use the defined values, then make comparisons. Keep things as compact as possible. The 3.3 nF can be soldered between the pins if you use ceramic SMD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.