Can i use SMPS as a Toroidal transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

so i am building a 1000rms amplifier and see SMPS are cheaper than Toroidal transformer

I have noticed SMPS does not have GND(0) wires like a transformer which has example 40-0-40 while SMPS has +V and -V. Since SMPS does not have GND(0) will SMPS negative wire will work as GND?

Is it possible to connect the SMPS to 6 x 10000uF/80V High Quality Power Regulator Board PSU for Power Amplifier (AEC 05)-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Hi

so i am building a 1000rms amplifier and see SMPS are cheaper than Toroidal transformer

I have noticed SMPS does not have GND(0) wires like a transformer which has example 40-0-40 while SMPS has +V and -V. Since SMPS does not have GND(0) will SMPS negative wire will work as GND?

Is it possible to connect the SMPS to 6 x 10000uF/80V High Quality Power Regulator Board PSU for Power Amplifier (AEC 05)-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

single output SMPS are not really designed for audio amps and they don't need nor like being connected to large banks of caps. Those big ones in the link are used for filtering line ( low ) frequency supplies.
identical cheap SMPS connected in series sometimes have bad interference and crosstalk issues. extra common mode chokes are useful on the inputs and sometimes the outputs, note the outputs are usually tied to chassis ground. eg disconnection causes common mode noise to become an issue.
it's advised and possible to find single DUAL output regulated SMPS for audio amps. smaller output bypass caps are more useful at SMPS frequencies!

So after reading your experience advices decided to just get a 1000v toroidal transformer. for now and then later on will do small project with smps

So quick build up this is my first amp build i am new

So what do i need to run this board
Assembled 1500W Powerful amplifier board/mono amp board stage amplifer board-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

1. Toroidal transformer
2. Power Regulator Board
3. Small Power Regulator Board for Ic
4. Heatsink, Potentiometer, Input wire Output wire 14pcs 2SC5200 and 14pcs 2SA1943

anything missing? or wrong?

Last edited:
I don't think you should buy a 1000V transformer. In fact, I don't think you should buy a 1000W transformer either. Two reasons:
1. 1000W transformer will not supply a 1000W amplifier - you need to learn about amplifier efficiency, duty-cycle, PSU AC RMS input vs. DC output
2. 1000W (or 1500W) should not be your first build

You are way out of your depth. I have only 45 years of experience in building electronics, so I would be cautious about such high power. People with more experience than me, or much less experience than me, may be less cautious.

aradan
It for 2 single 18inch Subwoofer rated at 500rms 8ohms for home

Mr. DF96
Thanks for your concern. You are a senior man
Do not worry i am quick learner in electronic experience that i have a opened and own powered mixer, Stereo amplifier, Stereo hifi, Car amp and i know even more about pc Motherboards. I should have no problem for project cost is $200. I know about watt and amps on a Transformer

I only want to know whether i am doing right?

Hm,

Thanks for clarification. Although there is a slight confusion for me here.

I am trying to recall my school knowledge of Power law.

You should be getting different values of Va in 8 ohm and 4ohm, as you will need much more current to drive 4 ohm load.

That is the common issue with the amplifiers, they can easily drive 8 and 6 ohm loads while 4ohm load usually draws more power.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong here

W=V^2/R

Meaning that if you have 1000 va in 8 ohm your voltage should be V=SQRT(W/R)=SQRT(1000/8)=125 volt

Now if you calculate the power generated by 125 volt in 4 ohms we will get

W=V^2/R=125^2/4~3906va

build a 150W power amp 1st, then test at 4 ohms too learn what happens to the power supply. it doubles!
you just don't slap together various parts into kits and have instant success > each increase in power becomes more problematic, where once small issues at 150W become show stoppers at 1500 W. I don't want to see waste your money eg turn it into a steaming pile of silicon.

the low cost of those kits make it seem easy, the total cost is very large! start pricing the authentic output transistors and heat sinks, then add in few extra (complete) sets to replace the blown ones due to learning errors. eg the higher the power the more transistors get turned to bus bars at one wrong move.

Last edited:
anything missing? or wrong?
ask for price of complete assembled and tested into power load of that amp.
> it's missing 28 power transistors and large heat sink. If you test it , it has a learning curve and extra burned parts aren't included.
each transistor authentic Toshiba = 3.60 USD from reputable dealer

Last edited:
aradan
Yes lower Ohms forces more power but where will the power come from if your transformer does not have that power?. does amplifier make power? As i know 3906watt rms you will need a transformer with 3906va? please correct

infinia
Seller told me Total $90 with the 28 power transistors unsoldered with no heatsink. ($35 for heatsink with holes not included shipping)
How does the power double if the f your transformer does not have that power?
So i do not need a 1000va for 1000rms?

Last edited:
infinia
Seller told me Total $90 with the 28 power transistors unsoldered with no heatsink. ($35 for heatsink with holes not included shipping)
How does the power double if the f your transformer does not have that power?
So i do not need a 1000va for 1000rms?

why doesn't the seller provide tech support?.
advise > buy from those vendors that can test completely and / or gives better support for beginners, other wise start study and expect some difficulties during test. much learning is available online ask for links.
check "Elliot Sound Products" for good amplifier PS guidelines
http://sound.westhost.com/project117.htm

Last edited:
Us1070,

I used to assemble pcs when i was at school too.

I had no clue about electronics that time.

Pcs are in the world with fixed and good interfaces.

While diy is not,byou should always double check yourself and rember that bad components tend to work less stable and provide strange results.

I have given the formula with power calculation here to remind that it is good to rmemebr some basics. It would help you in communication with sellers.

Generally speaking resistance is not stable. Only average resistance is specified for the speakers, but there could be drop outs at particular ranges. For examole to 2 ohms making an amplifiers work harder.

Lots of amplofoers are good and recommended for 6-8 ohms load. While even standard 4 ohms might not be recommended.

If the load drops the current required to provide the same power should be increased. As all the amplfiers are limited in the maximum current that they can produce, hence they are mor tolerable for higher loads requiring less current to drive them.

See even the description of any receiver they are not recommended for use with low ohm speakers. So there are some hidden questions which evem this seller might not be able to addrress.

That is the reason while experienced people here. I am not experienced yet. Are recommending you to start from prohects with lower load ànd friendly sales peoole who would be able to guide you through the basics

For example my fisrt psu for 10 usd from ebay wasb blown up in 5 minutes because i have soldered caps in the wrong direction. I am happy it was small and cheap and hence there was no damage for my family and budget. Although if your 1000 rms amp blows it could be ore dangerous.

You can find nunerous headphone amps which are easy to build on ebay or see articles i about cmoy amp.

These are great things to enter the diy world. And in time we blievenyou would be able to complete great high power project which you have in mind now :)

Hi to you aradan

Those are smaller boards My board is a 1500watt peak at 10THD and should will give me 8ohms@1000watts or 4ohms@1000 of continues power
500va equal to 500rms
Never heard you can make a 500VA into 1000rms?

500VA is how much heat the transformer can take. It takes a while for the transformer to heat up, and therefor it can supply much more for several minutes. A 100 watt music signal uses only average 40 VA, so a 40 VA transformer will still provide 100 watt music. I asked the same qustion in a danish forum, and Lars from NewClassD was so kind to teach me the above. He also said that the sound quality would be better with bigger tranformer. For class D he would use 2x VA rating vs music watt (100 watt music = 200 VA transformer), high frequencies should be more relaxed. It's not something I have experimented with, but the answer I got from Lars (and others with similar experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.