• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Can I use a teleporter to feed DSD and PCM to the BIIIse pro?

I'm building a new BIII pro se 9028 and would like to feed I2s directly to it with a teleporter. I want to use a denafrips Iris to send the I2s from my PC to the DAC.

https://www.denafrips.com/iris
I have both DSD and PCM files and will be using DimDim's isolator and Arduino control code to control the BIII so it will allow PCM and DSD to switch one the fly. My question is can the teleporter receive both signals and send it to the DAC without changing the connection or is it one or the other and not both?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
The teleporter has 4 channels - just enough for PCM plus an external master clock. If you used the Buffalo 3's onboard master clock in asynchronous configuration then the free teleporter channel could carry DSD. But if you want to use an external master for synchronous PCM on the Buffalo3, it seems as if your options are either a second pair of teleporters or perhaps some kind of mux (Otto?) into and from a single teleporter pair. Controlling the mux for 'on the fly' switching between DSD and PCM might be possible by modding DimDim's code - he would be the best person to help there... Good luck with the project!

Frank

Thanks Frank, I'll try and read a bit more about it, I'm not good at all with code so I'd have to get it to work with one teleporter if I went that route. I was going to duplicate my first build and use an Amenero/Chronos and then put the dac in synchronous mode but I read there were some benefits to using a device like the Iris so I wanted to see how hard it would be to make it work

Here's the teleporter pinout vs the Iris pinout. Is there a way to make both PCM and DSD work with one teleporter? I don't think so but my knowledge is limited on this

Attachments

• Teleporter i2s.jpg
    Teleporter i2s.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 76
  • IRIS i2s.jpg
    IRIS i2s.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 74
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sorry, I'm so used to I2S with left-right data combined! For two channels of normal DSD you would, in fact, need either a mux or a second teleporter. I'd personally go with the the simpler solution of two Teleporter pairs. They are small, efficient, and simple to power.

But hold on. I peeked at the Denafrips Iris specs and I suggest you be sure you understand its outputs. link here. Re: DSD output, the specs say: a) DSD64 (DoP) on Coax/AES/Opt Input & Output; b) Up to DSD512 On USB Input & I²S Output. It seems the Iris only does DoP, which is a format standard for DSD data. Read more here. The ESS Pro DAC chips happily manage DoP format data 'on-the fly' and therefore it appears the Denafrips Iris only needs the I2S connection to the DAC - no separate DSD connection. [So that also also raises the question of why and how you will implement and use the Arduino code, a separate issue.]

Bottom line: It seems you would be good with only a I2S connection to the DAC. The next question is efficient wiring and note that the Iris HDMI connector, labeled I2S-A, uses a LVDS format (low voltage differential signal). Teleporter uses LVDS as well and wouldn't it be cool to "get them talking'? Note Teleporter LVDS transceiver chip photo below, and I believe the correct data sheet is this one. I suggest you contact Denafrips and get to one of their engineers. Have them advise you on the compatability of their LVDS transceiver to the Teleporter's. Also note the useful Teleporter configuration information in the first post of the Teleporter thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/introducing-the-bit-teleporter.201106/#post-2793604

It would be pretty cool to just be able to make a hybrid HDMI ->RJ45 cable and be done!

This is an interesting project and could become an elegant system with excellent performance. But to that end, I doubt I could help you further than this, except to also recommend the Mercury I/V board from Twisted Pear. As you make progress, it would be interesting to see any reports on your results.

Enjoy the learning curve! :) (y)

Frank

Attachments

• IMG_4688.jpg
    IMG_4688.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks for the input. It would be neat to get them talking. Even if it's just PCM. That seems doable with a cable built to the right pinout
With DSD in DoP format, it would use the same physical wires as the I2S - which is why you may want to do a re-think on the Hifiduino idea. You should be able to use the stock firmware on the Buffalo to get going.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Background thought processes goin' on here - I don't see any MCLK in the HDMI connection, so while the HDMI LVDS would probably work into a single Teleporter, the Buffalo would be limited to asynchronous mode. That's not bad, but if you are a boundary-pusher with high definition analog gear I have a suggestion for using the Buffalo in synchronous mode. Use the normal two teleporters (send and receive), and hook up the one into the Iris using one of these: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2913. Nearby power for the teleporter could come from pins 17 & 18 of the HDMI jack. This jack source is supposedly good for up to 300mA - plenty of juice for the Teleporter.

Let us know how things progress! (y)