Can I use 1/4" jacks for speaker connectors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Earlier I said that there are millions of speakers out there with 1/4" connectors. That does not make them good!

They work, that's about all you can say. Speakon is much , much better, but also much more $$$ I agree with Burnedfingers, 1/4" aren't reliable speaker connectors.

Hey, there are millions of cheap stereos out there with RCA speaker connectors too. And who remembers the 2 blade DIN speaker connectors?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
That tinny, tiny DIN connector is always the first thing that goes when i help freinds inprove or repair old speakers P *O * S
Still no experience with "Speakon" but I am well aware of the reason for using them in PRO applications.
But I tend to use bare tinned bare wire and a good terminal plate on the speaker box, not because it's better, just because I'm cheap

If you do go for jacks, at least use decent 'frame' type sockets, as fitted to patchboards, rather than cheap moulded type.

As long as it's only for your own use, an excellent alternative is the XLR style mains connector. Now obsolete because of safety considerations, it's still a good low-resistance connector, and available surplus for next to nothing if you search around. Of course, it should not be used if there's any possibility at all of use where these are still fitted to mains leads.

Standard 3-pin XLRs are used on a lot of pro speakers predating Speakons, and are a good choice too.

In my time, I've also used old-style 5A 2 pin mains connectors - with the same caveat as for the XLR mains.

Standard 3-pin XLRs are used on a lot of pro speakers predating Speakons, and are a good choice too.

XLR's are used in low level applications only. In all my years doing Professional Sound I have NEVER run across ANY speaker connections that used XLR's. I have never seen them in primative DJ systems either.

XLR's are used for microphone connections, line level connections,
and sometimes for pro intercom equipment.

I think what you might have run across is a powered speaker that has XLR inputs for line level signal.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

Pink is right. There were a period when XLR were common as a speaker connector.

See this pic of a combo jack accepting both Speakon and 3-pin XLR plugs:

Edit: Oops, I became uncertain of my last statement. Can someone verify if XLR-Speakon combos exist?
(Been a long time since I've been active in this field)

Attachments

• speakeroutput.jpg
    speakeroutput.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 221
I have to disagree. Before Speakon, lots of speakers used XLR inputs, Martin, Bose, EAW, and Turbosound are just the first that come to mind.

I have never run across it in major brands in the US.

Must be some of that junk you guys have across the pond.

Anyway,,,,, no serious audio person would dream of using XLR's for speaker. Are you sure your not digging up cheap DJ crap?:bawling:

Your going to run speaker audio down a 20 or 22ga cable? :cannotbe: That would be a good waste of amplifier power.:devilr:

Hi,

you could also look at the Homepage of one of the better know manufacurers of XLR Plugs.
They state, that the maximum continous operating current in their standard product is 16Amp RMS, which seams quite sufficient for most speaker applications... (i think this this would translate into 2KW int an 8 Ohm load)

And i have seen XLRs on many Speakers, even quite a lot from the US, and not the cheap ones either.
But this did change over the last few years.

Brgds
Michael

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

burnedfingers,

While it's true that today no serious manufacturer would use XLR as speaker connection, there was a time before Speakon when ¼” and XLR were commonly used as speaker connection.

To say that speakers and equipment which used XLR connectors were junk altogether is unfair and untrue.

As atarashi writes, 3 pole XLR can take 16A current. That should be sufficient and a lot more than 1/4" can take reliably.

One problem at the time was the similarity with mic and line cables and these often got exchanged (by the inexperienced).

With later more powerful amps current and voltage increased so much that a new connector, Speakon were developed in order to comply with safety standards. As mentioned before, the Speakon connector being fully isolated and capable of higher voltage/current.

Sorry,

I won't agree that it is a good practice to use them. Speakon connectors are far better for speaker level use.

1/4" connectors are a joke and your XLR's aren't all that better.

Why? I have seen instances where cables have been mistreated

and this can and usually leads to amplifier failures.

Getting back to the topic once again..... I would go with Speakon connectors and I always use the 4 wire. If I only have one channel I will double up. These have caused me zero problems since they came out.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The only reasons I didn't mention EP6s was the cost, (about twice the price of Speakons), and they are not so widely available.

BF, any cable is likely to be mistreated on the road, Speakons are no less vulnerable than EP6s or XLRs. Even Socapex get trashed occasionally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.