Can I get a double check on my cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well it looks as though I too made a mistake with numbers. I should done some simple math at the beginning! With a port of 10.5 x 1.5 I get a port area the same as a 4.46 inch tube port, and with this flare it port calculator shows me horrible port noise at many usable frequencies. So if I step it up to a 10.5 x 2 inch port I am stepping into an area of a 5.18 inch tube port keeping my port compression more than safe and port noise out of the picture down to 27 cycles (which is fine for music). It will peak at 14.8 m/s at 28.44 hz. With a port this large though my port length goes up to 44.2 inches long. I don't think the port calculator takes into factor the length, but if the port gets too long don't I run into port compression problems?

Dan

I modeled 2 of these in a 40L box (just under 1.5 cubes) tuned to 28Hz with a 4" dia x 27.75" long port (or equivalent). If you flare the port entry and exit you shouldn't have large chuffing issues unless you are playing test tones. This isn't rocket science, and if your ultimate tuning measures a little lower, so much the better.

IF you want to use these for pro sound, you should make or use a rumble filter to cut any <30Hz signal.

Thanks for the reply, I am very suprised that there would be low chuffing with a 4 inch port. These wont be used for pro sound, just a portable music station. I want them to go as low as possible. They will be run off of a basic bash plate amp. I think I decided to go with a slot port but will flare the outside end with a router.

Thanks
Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.