Can anyone help me with some Tone burst tests?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
"In storage mode the input waveforms are continuously converted to digital values and stored on a circular RAM buffer"

Actuually there are several other types of storage that do not involve digital conversion and storage. One is the "Wire Mesh" type(Tek 7633) and the other is the "Flood Gun Type(Tek 214).

K-Amps, The 7633 has all the normal modes of storage operation as most of the later digital stuff does. The only drawback to CRT storage is that the trace on the Flood Gun type crt's can only be saved for about an hour or so, where the Wire Mesh type will hold it for quite a few hours to indefinately.....

Mark

you can always buy a TEK camera -- if you can find the Polaroid Type 67 film -- it is available, just a bit more difficult to find. A digital camera is what I use with my HP3585A spectrum analyzer.

there was an article in Audio Amateur around 1980 called "A Timerless Tone Burst Generator" -- basically you use a pair of CMOS multiplexers used in their bipolar mode to gate an audio signal -- an opamp was used as the comparator to set the thresh-hold and a series of flip-flops were used to set the aperture. (controlling the CMOS multiplexers

Hi,
can we go back to analogue scope and some kind of tone burst generator?
Anyone know of PC software (freeware) that can generate what is needed?
Is low & Hi freq needed as well as 1kHz?
Is there a cheap way to measure the increase in distortion due to the onset of clipping (but not yet visible).

"Can the 7633 work as a regular Oscope? If so I can go ahead sell the 7904 I got. I see a nice 7633 on ebay and the seller claims a bright CRT for it."

I would get the storage scope first and see if the trace is good enough for you for general purpose use. Those wire mesh type crt's sometimes have a bit softer display than the normally very sharp trace you'd see on a 7904.

Mark

Fresh in from my restoration bench is a Tektronix 214 which is probably the worlds smallest ever CRT absed storage scope, dual trace 500 khz bandwidth. I got this one off E-Bay for about $60.00. The seller sent me the wrong scope(should have been a plain old TEK 212) and never replied to my e-mails so I just kept it and decided to restore it. The scope was dead and with bad ni-cads these scopes will not fuinction at all because the batteries are used as a shunt regulator of sorts. Things went a bit haywire after I installed the new batteries.... an 100uf Tantlum cap shorted and also burned up the main 12 volt DC buss traces from the batteries to the on-off switch. Good proof that Tantlum caps do not like to sit around for years without being kept formed.

After those repairs were made the boards, case parts, knobs, and other parts were cleaned and the switch contacts, header connections between boards, and controls were treated with Caig Labs De-Oxide. The scope was then checked for calibration and found to be so close that any forther calibration was really un-necessary. A good testiment to the build quality of Tektronix products!!

Attachments

• tek 214 038 copy.jpg
    tek 214 038 copy.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 55
Here are the insides of the scope with the top pcb folded back out of the way. That top pcb is the horiz and vert. deflection amp and the CRT geometry adj. circuitry. The ni-cad packs are see on both sides of the crt neck. A full charge of the ni-cads gives about 3 hours of operation.

Attachments

• tek 214 032 copy.jpg
    tek 214 032 copy.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 41
This is miniaturization circa the mid 1970's! Pretty advanced even for today...... custom IC's are prevelent in most Tektronix products. Note that ALL semiconductors are in sockets! This supposedly allowed TEK to meet specs more consistantly which I definately agree with sonce most of their products always seem to exceed the specs by at least 30% of the ratings.

Attachments

• tek 214 025 copy.jpg
    tek 214 025 copy.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 77
The 3" diaganol storage CRT with internally etched graticle. This is a flood gun type storage crt and there are actually two electron guns in the neck. The base is about the size of a nickle and the long black cable connects to other elements in the crt that are up near the screen and used for the storage mode. Note the full mu-metal shield.

Attachments

• tek 214 027 copy.jpg
    tek 214 027 copy.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 66
It all fits neatly but barely into the plastic case. The test leads and AC cord wind around a storage pod on the back of the scope. It all weighs just 3 lbs. In my opinion this scope is still far ahead of the cheap LCD scopes that are being sold today. Certainly a bargain at $60.00 and another $15.00 for new ni-cads.

Mark

Attachments

• tek 214 034 copy.jpg
    tek 214 034 copy.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 65
"I would never have thought the tants would blow like that."

I've seen many tants short over the years but not generally like this one. Its rare to see one this large though. Of course that black pinhole was hidden under the inverter transistor as the transistor was bent down over that cap! With the new batteries installed the scope ran for about 5 min and then a mushroom cloud formed over the unit...... Of cource the cap was right across the full output of the ni-cads and the traces between it and the ni-cads acted like a fuse... and to make matters worse this is a three layer board with the DC buss traces in the center layer. They became so vaporized that they were no longer even there. Two jumper wires on the back of the board took care of it as well as a new 100 uf cap. The two film caps couple the bridge rectifier to the AC line... no transformer in this unit. The 12 volt DC then feeds a power inverter system that generates all the necessary DC low and high operating voltages..... about 7 different voltages ranging from 5 volts to -1000.

Mark

Attachments

• tek 214 003 copy.jpg
    tek 214 003 copy.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 50
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.