Cal's little boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd guess that perhaps it's a problem with the volume control knob. You might look at downsizing from what you're used to. :D

Attachments

• big_speaker_volume_control.jpg
    big_speaker_volume_control.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 134
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
are those driver surround "glued" with double adhesive sealing tape ? looks like that ?

fingers with sweat, or small amounts of dust during assembling might cause it to slip like that

but we know Cal is heavy handed :D

but why do you use fragile fullrange drivers for a "boombox" ?

Pictures are deceiving. Coil is fine. The Jordans have a blocking cap and were not overdriven. Driver actually works when you put the coil back in but the cone is now deformed so they gotta go.

What happened is this: In order to reduce the wiring on the outside I tapped into the speaker level inputs on the inside of the plate amp. Everything worked fine to start. About a week into enjoying it the darn thing lost half the power to the woofer. I am guessing it might be part of my soldering. That's fine, I just added a little gain on the plate amp and all was well. I guess it wasn't because the bass suddenly reappeared that fateful day. I happened to have it loud as I was listening in the kitchen. Oh it was an awful sound. Not only was the woofer overdriving, it was flapping the Jordans so bad that one you see came unglued. Since they are spiderless it doesn't seem to take much. Funny, it's a vented cabinet so I thought the pressure might be relieved by the big hole in the back and not have such a big effect on the Jordans. It seems more like sealed.

Oh well as they, you move on. I have a bigger and badder project to worry about. I am going to assemble these soon:

Attachments

• IMG_1887.jpg
    IMG_1887.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 105
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.