Calling alternative music audiophiles!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
....Nirvana performing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" once again on TOTP... just because it charted....

I was working in alternative radio when that came out. Nirvana's success single-handedly wiped out the alternative music scene. Once major labels stood up and took notice they bought up all the little specialty labels, killed them off and spawned the 'alternative rawk' format that hasn't changed in 20 years. :yuck:
The Sebadoh thing was pretty cool but you're cheating, you're in the UK. Some of what charted in the early punk glory days was never matched this side of the pond. I plead no contest against Brits. ;)

Re: Albini, love his production on Surfer Rosa. Demonstration quality.

His original version of In Utero is no slouch either - they only remixed 2 of his mixes but still I think in retrospect his version was the one they should have went with.

But yeah no doubt Pixies production really seems to stand up - not much of that studiophoolery and overproduction that makes me cringe when I put on other stuff from around then.

Steve Albini makes me feel like a fan club member... I'll pretty much listen to anything he records. I love how 90% of everything he records is done without overdub garbage.

The recordings he's done for Hosemobile, Mono, Don Cabellero, and Neurosis have to be my favorite

The blistering bass lines on the Hosemobile recordings are just ridiculously epic

7 pages and only one mention of Mogwai? I have a general rule that every time I hear "ithica 27-9" play it must be played as loud as possible...

Well at times I can find his stuff a little too wet with the miking techniques. Like he should have turned the ambient mics down a little. But in contrast with everyone else who sounded like they were playing in a sewer pipe he is pretty dry I guess.

I was working in alternative radio when that came out. Nirvana's success single-handedly wiped out the alternative music scene. Once major labels stood up and took notice they bought up all the little specialty labels, killed them off and spawned the 'alternative rawk' format that hasn't changed in 20 years. :yuck:
The Sebadoh thing was pretty cool but you're cheating, you're in the UK. Some of what charted in the early punk glory days was never matched this side of the pond. I plead no contest against Brits. ;)

The majors have been co-opting and corrupting for years. I have no trouble finding many DIY or self release labels. There are a lot of independent artists out there. One of our local stations has the policy of removing bands from the playlist as soon as they sign with a major, they took a lot of flack over Nirvana. My favorite Seattle band is still "The Wipers" with Greg Sage on guitar.

BTW Albini's comments on digital are mostly unprintable.

My favorite Seattle band is still "The Wipers" with Greg Sage on guitar.
I still have all their vinyl. Hole, of all bands, does an excellent cover of 'Over the Edge'. To square the circle, Courtney Love's Albini-ish comments on the record industry here.

The Wipers and bands like them were arguably the biggest victims of the Nirvana wave of alternative. After that acts like them, Flipper and hosts of others were replaced with more mainstream production values. Much though I enjoy new acts like the Riverboat Gamblers it's a hard slog to maintain they're a break from the past or that the music scene has as many alternatives as when you might hear Ministry, Ian Dury, Jesus Jones, Redd Kross, Rollins Band and Sarah McLachlan in the same radio set. Now it's mostly three chord guitar, followed by four, followed by three, in rotation. Which, since I like three chord rock, isn't too bad but again, hardly a field of flourishing alternatives. Scissorfight anyone? :)

Last edited:
I still have all their vinyl. Hole, of all bands, does an excellent cover of 'Over the Edge'. To square the circle, Courtney Love's Albini-ish comments on the record industry here.

The Wipers and bands like them were arguably the biggest victims of the Nirvana wave of alternative. After that acts like them, Flipper and hosts of others were replaced with more mainstream production values. Much though I enjoy new acts like the Riverboat Gamblers it's a hard slog to maintain they're a break from the past or that the music scene has as many alternatives as when you might hear Ministry, Ian Dury, Jesus Jones, Redd Kross, Rollins Band and Sarah McLachlan in the same radio set. Now it's mostly three chord guitar, followed by four, followed by three, in rotation. Which, since I like three chord rock, isn't too bad but again, hardly a field of flourishing alternatives. Scissorfight anyone? :)

The last Flipper show in Boston was far from mainstream :) Fortunately we still have some independent radio (could't believe they played Black Flag's "Damaged" uncensored at lunch time last week).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.