Call for Musical Instruments forum board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I play electric guitar, but not through a tube amp. I'm in the process of figuring out if I can build one. I have access to 6L6 (RCA original) and 12AX7 (equivalent) tubes, but I'm having difficulties scoring the transformers for it (I have no expertise to wind my own, so don't ask), so it's on the back burner a/o now.

Variac: I'd be following a DIY A/D converter with much interest. The problem is getting a digital signal into a computer through the digital in of a $30 soundcard is gonna sound like... well, a $30 Soundblaster. The PCI interface is the ticket, actually...

Anything related to inst. is good. Analog synths rule. I have a Sequential circuits Prophet 600 i am restoring to full midi operation..at the moment it acts like it has a feeble mind:) ( i lovingly call it grandpa ) anywho, analog has big hairy nutz in the sound department...you can't tweak new boards or modules any where near where these babys can go...

Oh , i guess i'll admit to playing guitar.

Hi! Thanx!
And I already do.
I'll dig up some good links on analog synthDIY i have found while ferretting out parts sources for the prophet. it'll give you the roughs, until you get to the math, then you gotz to read ans study ( ugh ) but i think it would well worth it.
I'll post em up here in the next day or so...
BTW .. I live about 5 miles from intersil ( they make a butt-load of chips used in a lot of the DIY projects i have come across.)

PassFan,
long time no see! :)
glad to have you back.

PassFan and tmc,
please tell us from the scratch how a midi playback is set up on a Windoze and on a Linux computer from the scratch. Let's assume i do not even have a soundcard plugged in.

I personally do not have use for it right now, but want to try it out later. Others may be interested too.

Thanks Dice, I have been working out of town for a while. I haven,t fooled around with any linux stuff so I'm not sure what they have. There is plenty of windows and mac stuff available. Most pro audio and video people use and love the mac. It's all plug and play nowdays and not hard to set up at all. The trick is getting just what you need. The more complicated the program the more trouble you tend to have. If all you want is midi then just buy midi and not a full digital audio program. If you want the digital audio as well then make sure you have at least a pentium II and not an equivalent. Digital audio uses a lot of space and requires the math crunching of a pentium.

Once you determine what you want to do then you can look for what card you need. For just straight midi, I've had good luck with midiman products. They make a small midicard for about 25.00 as well as the syncman units that allow syncing of an external multitrack.

Once you have your card and your software It's just a matter of plugging outs to ins until your loop is complete. The basic one keyboard rig will be the easiest to plug up and you can get pretty complex. I had a Korg Wavestation keyboard, a Proteus module, two midiverbs and two lexicon reflexes all on one loop and used a syncman to lock it up to an Adat. All controlled by my computer and it all plugs, outputs to inputs. If your keyboard has a local control switch you will want to turn it off. Once you understand that audio is not transmitted over the midi cable it gets easy.

Anybody tries it and has problems feel free to email me.Good Luck

ok Bob4,
here a few of the synth diy sites i was rambling on about the other day
http://www.synthfool.com/schm.html
http://www.paia.com/
http://code404.com/faq/

code404 is an intensive list site - lots o good info there.:djinn:

:Piano: there are also some software synths i have found to be very intresting, although i have not endeavored to use them on any recorded material,
One such proggy is called retro as1
http://www.bitheadz.com/prod/main.htm
it emulates a good portion of analog synths from arps to moogs
fairly well and is fully program oriented..midi too......renders to wave files etc... but there is a latencey involved due to it being a software proggy..... but worth fooling around with.

I'll post some more as i gather them back up

happy surfin:D

bob4

you are right....that guy is out there...but how cool is a 32 ch controller system?( sound mover ) juheeezus.
my brain already started smokin after 2 seconds over the application of such a system.....:xeye:
The other links are cool too.
Thanx

Hey has anyone ever tried to construct a DIY foot controller ?
not just a patch changer, but an honest to god 1 octave foot pedal that would control a keyboard..
e.g. - anything by Rush where Geddy is playing bass and holding a synth line with his foot.

Just curious

TMC,

I had a look at the links you posted, code404 seems to be most promising for getting started. I've already read something on sound synthesis, the concept of modular analog synths, different modules etc. , I think I roughly know how it works, but regarding electronics I'm a total dumbass, I can solder, that's all :bawling:

Also, I'm running out of time: I'll join the army in January etc. etc., but when I get out, I'll pick this one up again......

All that still can't keep me away from reading & learning more. :D

Have a look at this page: www.doepfer.de , it's a german company manufacturing a complete modular system, they have some very interesting modules. THey also sell DIY- kits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.