Calculate class A power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is somewhat confusing.

RMS is short for "Root Mean Squared" which is short for "the square root of the average value of the square of the amplitude".

Put simply, the RMS voltage was originally used to tell you what equivalent dc voltage you would need to produce the same average heating power in a resistive load as an ac voltage. It is like a convenient way to equate ac and dc systems for the purpose of calculating average power.

This is handy when dealing with mains electrics - if your ac mains is 230Vac RMS then you know that you would need 230V dc to heat a resistor the same amount or make a light bulb (incandescent) the same brightness.

The term RMS can only apply to an ac voltage or current. It has no meaning for a dc voltage or current.

To convert between peak V or I and RMS V or I you divide the peak by the square root of 2 = 1.414

When you measure 70mV across Re I assume this is a dc voltage. So RMS does not apply.

I personally find it easiest just to deal with peak V and peak I. Just work out the peak power using P = (V*V)/R or P = (I*I)*R, then just divide by 2 to get average power. :)

traderbam said:
It is somewhat confusing.

RMS is short for "Root Mean Squared" which is short for "the square root of the average value of the square of the amplitude".

Put simply, the RMS voltage was originally used to tell you what equivalent dc voltage you would need to produce the same average heating power in a resistive load as an ac voltage. It is like a convenient way to equate ac and dc systems for the purpose of calculating average power.

This is handy when dealing with mains electrics - if your ac mains is 230Vac RMS then you know that you would need 230V dc to heat a resistor the same amount or make a light bulb (incandescent) the same brightness.

The term RMS can only apply to an ac voltage or current. It has no meaning for a dc voltage or current.

To convert between peak V or I and RMS V or I you divide the peak by the square root of 2 = 1.414

When you measure 70mV across Re I assume this is a dc voltage. So RMS does not apply.

I personally find it easiest just to deal with peak V and peak I. Just work out the peak power using P = (V*V)/R or P = (I*I)*R, then just divide by 2 to get average power. :)

Yes it was somewhat confusing but thanks everyone for the effort to show me the light.

My conclusion is, My mistake was, I confused RMS DC measurement be equal to AC RMS but of course the fact that I measure RMS DC says nothing about the RMS AC voltage or current.

So I got wrong in taking the Peak to Peak current in my formula.

Now I calculate the RMS (average) current by Irms= 0,71xI

And then like roender and others indicates my correct formula is:

P rms = R * (0.71 * I)^2

I think I get it now.

Thanks again.

With best regards,
Bas

Yep, I think you've figured it out.

Just be a little careful with the terminology...
Now I calculate the RMS (average) current by Irms= 0,71xI

No. RMS current is not the same as average current. The average ac current is zero. That's why the RMS formula is used.

Average power, on the other hand may be calculated using RMS voltage or RMS current, but this is not to be confused with the literal definition of RMS power (the root mean squared value of the power waveform) which is not the same thing at all.

traderbam said:
Yep, I think you've figured it out.

Just be a little careful with the terminology...

No. RMS current is not the same as average current. The average ac current is zero. That's why the RMS formula is used.

Average power, on the other hand may be calculated using RMS voltage or RMS current, but this is not to be confused with the literal definition of RMS power (the root mean squared value of the power waveform) which is not the same thing at all.

Yes Tradebam, you are right. So I mall call it RMS current to be correct? and the calculated output power "average output power?

Then that create a new question.. :D How to calculate RMS power?

With best regards,
Bas

You are correct Andrew .... but many amplifier data sheets specify the RMS power capability, which is a nonsense form mathematical POV
Power RMS is just a language term, noting more ;)

Please see the attachment, Power RMS for Dummies :D

Attachments

• rms_power.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 190
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
roender said:
You are correct Andrew .... but many amplifier data sheets specify the RMS power capability, which is a nonsense form mathematical POV
Power RMS is just a language term, noting more ;)

Please see the attachment, Power RMS for Dummies :D

RMI-FC100 specs:
Class A power: 2W rms into 8ohm with Iq=0.6A (maximum Iq for optimal B class bias)
Class B power: 90W rms into 8ohm
:D

Sounds about right for working out the RMS output going into a load by measuring current, but remember that it will probably be lower than that for Class A as quiescent current is almost 100% of the time higher than the corresponding voltage swing on the output needed to drive the load. I would use this equation:

P = (0.707*V)^2/4*Z

Where P is the RMS power, V is the maximum peak to peak voltage swing of the amplifier's output and Z is the loudspeakers impedance.

Hope that helps :)

Vizion, calculation for single-ended cl. A differs from push-pull topology.
Ideally, push-pull amp stays in cl. A as long as current through the load (loudspeaker) is equal to or less than twice the bias current. With current through the load higher than that the amp will keep working in class AB.
For single-ended amp the bias current equals the maximal current through the load. If the load tries to draw current higher than that the current clipping will occur. There are workarounds about that (Aleph, the modulated current source) but it's no longer pure singlle-ended topology.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.