Cain Abby

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever managed to built an exact copy of the Cain&Cain Abby . I know it has been thoroughly discussed on Voigt Pipe threads, *but I cannot find*any information regarding the exact dimensions of the speaker and especially of the rounded port which interests me most.*
*I am really keen on building this one so any help/drawings selection of drivers (preferrably Fostex) would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you everyone.

The Abby was & remains a commercial product of Cain & Cain (Lovecraft Designs since Terry Cain sadly passed away in 2006), so unless you can physically measure a pair, you're not going to find any exact plans. A couple of general hints:

-Despite appearances the Abby is not, internally, an St=0 design (not that there's anything wrong with St=0 if it's done right).

-Terry claimed he selected the oval vent based on fluid air motion theory, although the exact dimensions will have been determined empirically, and primarily (possibly entirely) by ear. Terry made no bones about the fact that theoretical design bored him; he wasn't interested, didn't care, and prefered to use his ears.

-The external dimensions of Abby are freely available; as I recall, someone did a semi-clone which you might find lurking around here if you use the search facility; I think they called it, with tongue firmly in cheek, the Clabby.

-Going by memory, vent CSA is between 75% - 100% of Sd. But don't hold me to that.

-AFAIK, the oblate sphereoid suprabaffle was not designed with specific reference to bafflestep frequency; he sized it to be x number of inches over the size of the driver. Note I am not advocating any of this, just stating that that is, to the best of my knowledge, how Terry developed the Abby from a basis in Herbert Jeschke's / Lowther Club of Norway's 'Voigt Pipe', which was his first DIY full-range driver build.

Not a great deal of exact information, but might be of some use.

I remember him most for our remembrances of our love/hate relationship with that most fickle of mechanical art, the '50s-60s era Alpha Romeros.

GM
...not to be confused with the 70's-80's era Spiders who's engine would punch the hood if you bottomed out going over a bump!

Btw i'm not so sure they changed much from the 50's-60's era either. In high school a guy from my class father gave him a Alfetta GT after he cracked up his Audi Fox. The father had a Lambo. I saw the car sitting by the dealership for service more then i ever saw it on the road. The guy got so fed up with it he traded it in for a detroit built American muscle car:\

Dunno, my Alfa experiences ended with a '67 Sprint Veloce GT, which was actually pretty reliable even with me often using the tach needle stop as a shift indicator. Little wonder it was so successful as a club racer. My earlier roadsters though taught me how to troubleshoot wiring, tune multiple carbs, repair manual trans, rebuild alum. motors, do brake jobs, suspension repair.........

GM

I always said you guys had taste. :) Although I quite like Maserati's myself...

There's a couple of recent models that I'd like to have if I had the budget, but only the '57 4.5 racer and Jim Hall's punched out version gets my blood 'boiling'. Watching Fangio drift his around on the outside of much better braking and much more powerful racers at Sebring for the win was one of the more inspiring experiences of my life.

A pity what happened to the team that year, though its hood scoop design taught many of us wannabe race car designers about basic boundary layer aerodynamics.

GM

Hmm... you've spent significant time building and tuning other items besides these big boxes that produce sound! :h_ache:

Actually, I learned TL, horn design so that I could design high performance intake, exhaust systems to get a 'Penske racer's edge' on the competition and not fall prey to such visually 'right', but technically totally 'wrong' designs such as Maserati's hood scoop. I designed/built speakers for others to barter for various services to help me afford my primary hobby of 'boy racer' without it impacting my family's lifestyle. When bartering became an issue with the tax collector, that was pretty much the end of my active speaker building and racing got reduced to just slot cars and occasionally helping with others efforts.

GM

Indeed I did, though it would have been a lot more fun if I'd had any depth perception, so I could have been much more competitive than I was. You know you're not competitive when you're leaned over and 'white knuckle' downshifting through a fast corner and have a teen punk from out West pass you on the outside while up shifting! About my only consolation is that he was a World Champ in the making [Kenny Roberts].

GM

There's a couple of recent models that I'd like to have if I had the budget, but only the '57 4.5 racer and Jim Hall's punched out version gets my blood 'boiling'. Watching Fangio drift his around on the outside of much better braking and much more powerful racers at Sebring for the win was one of the more inspiring experiences of my life.

A pity what happened to the team that year, though its hood scoop design taught many of us wannabe race car designers about basic boundary layer aerodynamics.

GM

Evidently a few of Ferrari's aero PhD types could do with a refresher course given the complete horlicks they made of their F1 car at the start of this season... ;)

I quit following F1 back in '02 when I ditched my overpriced/crappy performing cable TV, so only get to see one or two a year anymore. Seems hard to believe that with their budget, wind tunnel and all that implies that they could FUBAR the aero package.

GM

I quit following F1 back in '02 when I ditched my overpriced/crappy performing cable TV, so only get to see one or two a year anymore. Seems hard to believe that with their budget, wind tunnel and all that implies that they could FUBAR the aero package.

GM

the best races are in the divisions way below F1 anyway, where the cars are still mostly governed by driver skill and not the complex mechanics and aerodynamics.

best races i've ever seen were in the caterham cups.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.