Cable distortion and "micro diodes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I find the contamination story convincing; even silverware quickly changes color after some time in open air due to chemical contamination.

First of all silverware isn't pure silver or it would bend in all kind of directions when you use it.

Secondly, given the above it also oxidises more easily.

Thirdly, in the factory it does get treated differently due to intrinsic value.

Fourth, if you're a big enough customer they will do specials for you such as very slow die draws, after glows and lab reports etc.

In short, higher purity of the metal and longer crystals can contribute markedly on better sonic performance.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I'm sorry, I must have forgotten. That was proved when?

To my and other ears and eyes ages ago, Steve.
Let's see...1994? Something like that.

Instead of talking to a metalurgist try talking the a material scientist that also happens to have an interest in audio.

Incidentally this what I did and vdH was/is in touch with the same person I mentioned before.

I hate to dissapoint you but the documentation for it is at KUL Leuven.

Since they get paid for research I'm not at large to divulge it.

Cheers,;)

Steve Eddy said:

I find it rather odd that the interference (aside from the 15.75kHz spike) would just happen to be at harmonics of 1kHz.

In any case, I believe John says he's also measured at other frequencies so that would rule that out.

se

Yes, I realized that, which is why I also suggested the other
possibility of the cables picking up stray fields from the
equipment. On the other hand, there is a lot of strange
rubbish signals both radiated and in the mains in the modern
society.

fdegrove said:
To my and other ears and eyes ages ago, Steve.
Let's see...1994? Something like that.

Ah, ok. Your original claim seemed rather all-encompassing.

Instead of talking to a metalurgist try talking the a material scientist that also happens to have an interest in audio.

What's an interest in audio to do with anything?

Incidentally this what I did and vdH was/is in touch with the same person I mentioned before.

I hate to dissapoint you but the documentation for it is at KUL Leuven.

Since they get paid for research I'm not at large to divulge it.

Jeeez, Frank. That's right up there with "I could tell you but then I'd have to shoot you."

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

What's an interest in audio to do with anything?

It helps communication between individuals in explaining what it is you're looking into.

If you have the education and measuring equipment of a
Materials Research Dep. then you won't need to TALK to these guys, right?

It's important for you and them to know exactly what to look for.
Having a person with pre-knowledge in audio terminology was a big help.

Jeeez, Frank. That's right up there with "I could tell you but then I'd have to shoot you."

Integrity is important to me, be glad I told you as it should motivate you to continue your own research.

Rest assured, I am very much opposed to violence of any kind, most of all guns.

Cheers,;)

When was the last Cal. done John?

Just because I'd like to know when was last time that your distortion measurement set up went back to the manufacturer for caliberation and certification? I have worked with broadcast equipment for several years and the test equipment I use MUST be returned for caliberation and performance certification yearly. I doubt any measurement from equipment that is not maintained, including my own gear, unless it is checked by the proper people. I can repair it myself but caliberation and performance certification is something else.

Later BZ:geezer:

I was asking John Curl the question about caliberation. I've been around test equipment for the last 30 years including time as a test equipment repair tech several years ago, about the time that Sound Tech 1700B was new. Without current cal and certs I wouldn't trust that thing as far as I could kick it. I had one at work and we ditched it as soon as we could. It just would not hold caliberation. We went back to HP for THD measurements.

Later BZ:geezer:

Steve Eddy said:
Yes, I'm aware of hysteresis in dielectrics, but I don't recall ever seeing anything about their exhibiting hysteresis anywhere near the audio band. Doesn't dielectric hysteresis occur more around the X-ray region of the spectrum?

If you've some sources on the matter, I'd be interested.

Dielectric hysteresis is part of the loss-factor of capacitors. In fact it is most noticeable near DC. It is what you observe if you discharge a capacitor to 0V. If you remove the short after discharging a capacitor, the voltage on it often slowly rises again. This is because the charge was not only at the surface of the dielectric but a small amount of electrons is also “dissolved” in the dielectric. These dissolved electrons are released much more slowly than the readily available electrons at the surface. It is also this what makes the apparent capacitance frequency dependent. Other explanations have to do with mechanical forces applied to the crystal structure of the dielectric by the electrostatic field.

If you Google around there is more, however not much in depth.

And oh eh have a look at this:

http://www.taralabs.com/white_papers/Science_Design3.asp

(But don’t start a new thread about it :clown: )

Cheers

Pjotr said:
Dielectric hysteresis is part of the loss-factor of capacitors. In fact it is most noticeable near DC. It is what you observe if you discharge a capacitor to 0V. If you remove the short after discharging a capacitor, the voltage on it often slowly rises again. This is because the charge was not only at the surface of the dielectric but a small amount of electrons is also “dissolved” in the dielectric. These dissolved electrons are released much more slowly than the readily available electrons at the surface. It is also this what makes the apparent capacitance frequency dependent. Other explanations have to do with mechanical forces applied to the crystal structure of the dielectric by the electrostatic field.

Ah, ok. You're talking about dielectric absorption.

If you Google around there is more, however not much in depth.

Well, found this on FaradNet in the glossary under "Dielectric absorption":

dielectric absorption

Also called dielectric hysteresis or dielectric soak. A characteristic of dielectrics which determines the length of time a capacitor takes to deliver the total amount of its stored energy. It manifests itself as the reappearance of a potential on the electrodes after the capacitor has been discharged. Its magnitude depends on the charge and discharge time of the capacitor.

Didn't know DA was synonymous with dielectric hysteresis.

The reference I had for dielectric hysteresis is from Electronic Engineers' Handbook by Fink and Christiansen:

Under ordinary conditions, the electric flux density D in a dielectric is proportional to the electric field intensity E acting across the dielectric. But at very high frequencies, hysteresis effects occur in dielectric materials. This phenomenon is similar to that produced in magnetic materials at much lower frequencies.

Dunno where I got the notion about it only being an issue in the X-ray region.

Anyway, DA is a linear distortion (so basically it only affects frequency/phase response) but it's effect in things like audio cables is so insignificantly small it's totally swamped by the bulk capacitance of the cable.

And oh eh have a look at this:

http://www.taralabs.com/white_papers/Science_Design3.asp

(But don’t start a new thread about it :clown: )

Hehehe. Ok, I won't. If you promise never to cite cable manufacturer websites as references. :)

se

Status
Not open for further replies.