Cabinetmakers in Texas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,
I'm looking for a cabinetmaker to build my TJL3 boxes. After a couple of projects I have realized that the everyman's tools leave something to be desired in terms of fit and finish. All parts are in, I just need a cabinet now. Does anyone have any recommendations or know anyone that can build/veneer for a reasonable price? I live in San Antonio so anywhere close would be preferrable.

Stephen

This will probably seem like an odd suggestion, but look in the Yellow Pages for carpenters and cabinet makers. Also look for wood shops and woodworking stores.

Also, keep an ear out and ask friends, family, and co-workers if they know anyone who is a hobby woodworker.

Keep in mind that if they aren't experienced speaker builders, you are going to need to describe very detail to them. How you want panels mounted to each other. Do you want certain panels removable. Internal bracing. Do you want them to simply cut the wood, or do you want them to build and finish the cabinets? How deep do you want the recesses cut for flush mounting the speakers? etc....

I suggest, if you find someone, you show them pictures of the finished cabinet so they have an idea of what the finished product looks like.

Steve/bluewizard

BlueWizard said:
This will probably seem like an odd suggestion, but look in the Yellow Pages for carpenters and cabinet makers. Also look for wood shops and woodworking stores.

Not odd at all, I've already done that and have a maker in mind, but, its always better to ask others first.

Keep in mind that if they aren't experienced speaker builders, you are going to need to describe very detail to them. How you want panels mounted to each other. Do you want certain panels removable. Internal bracing. Do you want them to simply cut the wood, or do you want them to build and finish the cabinets? How deep do you want the recesses cut for flush mounting the speakers? etc....

I suggest, if you find someone, you show them pictures of the finished cabinet so they have an idea of what the finished product looks like.

Steve/bluewizard

I have already taken care of all of this as well, Troels is amazing when it comes to answering questions beyond what are shown on his site. Basically, all the obvious is covered, I am just looking for endorsements of specific businesses or individuals that can complete the cabinetry clean, quick, and with good end result. I've been saving for this new project for a while now and looking at all this componentry is driving me crazy.

Seth Smith said:

Not odd at all, I've already done that and have a maker in mind, but, its always better to ask others first.

I have already taken care of all of this as well, Troels is amazing when it comes to answering questions beyond what are shown on his site. Basically, all the obvious is covered, I am just looking for endorsements of specific businesses or individuals that can complete the cabinetry clean, quick, and with good end result. I've been saving for this new project for a while now and looking at all this componentry is driving me crazy.

I just sent you e-mail :)

The absolute ideal siltation would be if you could find a hobby woodworker who has experience building speakers. Like they will work cheap, just for the fun of it, and they will probably do an excellent job. So, certainly if you can get a recommendation from here, you are much better off.

Good luck.

Steve/bluewizard

nttnmt said:
Hi everybody,

I live in Austin, TX and I'm trying to find somebody to build speaker cabinets. Seth, have you find somebody in San Antonio yet? I wouldn't mind going there if I couldn't find a cabinet maker in Austin.

Thanks,
nttnmt

You might try contacting user Hank on either htguide or audiocircle.

What's the project you're working on?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.