Cabinet dampening - to stuff or not to stuff?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have heard OF the bubble wrap trick, but never heard it.

So you say roll it up and stuff the box with it? Not use it as an open sheet?

Personally I think in terms of affordability while yielding results acceptable by professional gear snobs:p the foam rubber puzzle piece floor matting I'm using along with some cheap pillows ripped open and robbed of their guts for batting are about as good as it gets.
No stuffing will be applied in these though, they need to be loud and have an open organic sound.

I've seen the bubble wrap trick in plenty of DIY sites and in a few builds I've encountered in person I would deem hillbilly for applying it but never actually heard it in use. I would bet after a year or two of frequent use it would be beat to death and probably grow noisy.

I like tinitus waffling braces. In the design stages I had thought about doing this on my rear panel but after putting together two 4'x'2x2' heavy as bricks birch ply cabs by myself in about 3 days then chopping holes and wiring the one slowly over the next 2, I'm already taking a half a week off and dreading the completion steps.
This is on top of converting a 4x10 bass cabinet into a set of small PA's, exercising daily, playing guitar, building various circuits, repairs, painting, dismantling my car interior to rewire and replace stereo components, cooking, cleaning....there's certainly a lot more to this list :sour:

I guess it will be all worth it if Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber or Eminem drop dead! :D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
250-500Hz is the low midrange. Some refer to it also as bass's ''presence'' region. Adding or subtracting there changes the feeling of ''fullness'' of tone.The 100-250Hz region is midbass. Down to 40Hz is low bass, down to 20Hz is sub bass, below is infrasonic.

250-500Hz is the low midrange. Some refer to it also as bass's ''presence'' region. Adding or subtracting there changes the feeling of ''fullness'' of tone. The 100-250Hz region is midbass.

I propose it's really a matter of opinion and based on who's listening.
I think the term is applied to that range of around 180Hz to 500Hz where the signal really sounds and behaves like both creatures.

In some builds, cranking up 500Hz can add boom, others it can just add body.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Those are generally acceptable terms in music production, a bit loose but not that loose. There are lessons in sound engineering schools about EQ and miking that have similar spectrum charts and definitions. You can find the additional term ''upper bass'' for 250-350Hz or ''bass presence'' due to the fact that it gives clarity to bass line. In general, the guitar and voice have as bass what the real bass instruments have as mid bass and presence. 440Hz I have heard nowhere in studios or live being called mid bass. Just think that an octave ahead is genuine midrange's centre. 1kHz is the centre of any log audio spectrum chart. How can midrange's heart have mid bass as first octave neighbour?

Those are generally acceptable terms in music production, a bit loose but not that loose. There are lessons in sound engineering schools about EQ and miking that have similar spectrum charts and definitions. You can find the additional term ''upper bass'' for 250-350Hz or ''bass presence'' due to the fact that it gives clarity to bass line. In general, the guitar and voice have as bass what the real bass instruments have us mid bass and presence. 440Hz I have heard nowhere in studios or live being called mid bass. Just think that an octave ahead is genuine midrange's centre. 1kHz is the centre of any log audio spectrum chart. How can midrange's heart have mid bass as first octave neighbour?

I grasp what you're saying fully but it will vary in application. You're dealing with different speakers that have different tolerances so speaker A might be able to handle a bass boost at 80 Hz while speaker B will be destroyed. Speaker B may indeed be able to produce an audible/usable level of bass at 80 Hz but not through direct boost. So in conversational terms, you boost Speaker B at let us say 200 Hz and get a linear boost , like a ^ shape at 200 Hz that drags up 80 Hz a bit and brings in some rich 80 Hz boom and rumble.
And that's not even in terms of a parametric EQ, I'm referring to your basic shelving EQ or 3 band tone stack.

I've witnessed this effect a lot in terms of musical instrument amplification. Sometimes boosting as high as 600 Hz can have a tremendous effect on bass increase but you're certainly into the midrange spectrum. There is also no true definition or even an industry standard of what is defined as the bass, the midrange and the treble. I've seen numerous charts from different institutes, respected studios and teachers that all intersect to a degree but sometimes vary greatly.

So if Guy 1 likes speaker B more and Guy 2 likes Speaker A more, they're going to have a rather different perspective on what constitutes midbass which as I asserted, isn't specific to referring to the middle of the bass spectrum. It's a term I've seen for about 10 years that in marketing terms, tends to refer to a woofer that produce an equal amount of midrange as it does bass and work well in 2 way systems.
I suppose that term has of course been modified and now we see it marketed as a "mid woofer" kindred to the term Sub-woofer but in more traditional terms, I would assert a "mid woofer" is just a woofer of traditional frequency response.

And then we can REALLY go back in time to your old AM tube radios where the only speaker in the thing was a full range 15" driver that had about as much bass as a cricket chirp.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe something that can help here is the very nice term that the old BBC engineers had for where the main energy of the classical orchestra was concentrating when they recorded. ''Power range''. As such they defined the 200-800Hz region. Your 440Hz interest is smack middle there and adds to the sense of ''output'' or ''body'' of your cab. Of course all this is ''voicing'', that would come across as ''colouration'' in a truly full range mega SPL system like an L-Acoustics flown line array and sub cabs multi amped.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
a good peak frequency through of 440 Hz. A nice spectrum of what most today call the midbass range.
Most what? Or who? I've never heard anyone else call 440Hz midbass. Or call it any kind of bass. Never Ever. Not in 50 years around pro audio. So I can't see how "most" would call it that. That would be like me saying "Most today call Bing Crosby a soprano." Uh, maybe someone, somewhere does, but most?

So I stand by my statement, midbass. 440 Hz.
Come on VOTR, man up and admit you were wrong about this one. Then move on, we all make mistakes. Join the club. :mischiev:

My primary losses will be through the rear and top panels which is why they will be dampened.

Salas described exactly what I'm talking about.
As a guitarist, a point in the "power range" is where the best "midrange" tone control is designed to manipulate. Many preamps 10 years ago would set the midrange control right around 1 Khz which made for a nasally, wimpy sound. You'd want a guteral, groany emotive midrange with some thick flabby punch and it's just not there. Then you hear the tone of someone like Joe Satriani, Zakk Wylde etc. and their mid point is always much lower.

One of my amp mods allows for shifting the midrange control's frequency point and can shift it into a parametric mode.. A fixed boost of 6dB at 700 Hz. It has a huge impact on the midrange control but seems to hold a greater impact over the bass control which is set at 100 Hz. Bypass the circuit and there is a massive loss of body to the overall tone and huge loss of fullness to the bass.
So from my perspective, it's very subjective so panomaniac there is no right or wrong in these things. As I said, speaker A might handle a bass boost at 80 Hz really well while speaker B will eventually blow the cone. Yet boost speaker B linear at 240 Hz and drag that 80 Hz up a tiny bit with it and it suddenly has plenty of rumble, boom and body.

The term is Mid-woofer, I should have used the more current term and really it's just referring to a traditional woofer's frequency production which has been lost in the world of subwoofers dominating the market. For quite a few years though, midwoofers were called midbass speakers and I can go to Partexpress.com, MCM and a half dozen other websites selling these woofers as midbass speakers.

Would you like to email them and argue with them?
I'd love to see those messages posted!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Midbass just means that the driver is capable of covering the bass & the midrange (ie crossed to a tweeter at 1.5-5 kHz), just like a mid-tweeter is capable of covering midrange & treble (XO typical 125-400 Hz). Using your rational i could call 440 Hz treble as that is in the range of a good mid-tweeter.

dave

My primary losses will be through the rear and top panels which is why they will be dampened.

I may be on the wrong page here but is your intent to use stuffing to stop panel vibration? That's NOT what it's intended for. Build the enclosure correctly if you want to stop panel vibrations. Add braces and supports. Stuffing it will do jack for panel vibration.

Stuffing an enclosure slows reflections inside the box that could color the sound. It slows the wave and has the effect of a larger enclosure. This "noise" may make the bass, and midbass :p, sound louder. Stuffing should be left out for concert and PA use. imo

I may be on the wrong page here but is your intent to use stuffing to stop panel vibration?

WoW!
double_facepalm_lg.jpg

Well you didn't exactly use the term brace. Seriously, would you really want a vibrating cabinet? Bracing yes, stuffing no.

How long did you search for that pic? Or did you have it cocked and loaded in your l33t forum arsenal?

I really need to stop posting here after being awake 36 hours at a time. @.@

votr, where are you located?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.