C-Audio RA3000 Amplifier in protect mode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Voltages with Q45 removed in blue.

They seem a little better in places, instead of mv I'm now getting almost half what you had in places.

sUqxBTxh.jpg

Chris, I'll measure the base of Q25 in the morning. I didn't realise I hadn't measured it since taking the bulb out. I only had 19v there before.

I looked for the DMOD diode and it looks like it's not on the board.

jtHaRqD.jpg

Bugger, I thought this would help trace back to see the location of DMOD but I've not got enough of the board in.

Also the bit that has me confused is you can see R67 is connected to the collector of Q24, in the drawing it goes through R68 before going to Q24.

You can also see there are some mods on the board, there is a capacitor soldered across a resistor. I can't see that in the drawing either.

Amptech, Yes we lifted the legs on R63 and R64 to float the protection circuit. I also got 5v on where the level led board connects to the output. I have the this board removed at the moment while we sort the protection circuit.

R68 does look to be correct but I'll take it out to check it.

Got around to taking another look at this today.

I swapped out:
C5, 16, 24, 25, 29, 54, 56, 60,
Z3, 4
Q20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 45 (basically the transistors in the protection circuit)

I've found that swapping out Z3 and Z4 didn't make much difference, Z3 seems better but Z4 seems to be dragging down. It starts at -6.2v then starts heading down.

The other side of R57 stays at -92.3V so it's not the supply.

I thought one of the two transistors Q9 and Q10 might be to blame so swapped them out and it's made to difference.

What could be causing the voltage at Z4 to drift??

Last edited:
I'm happy to report this amplifier is now coming out of protect mode.

Chris was right about the issue being in the protect circuit and in the area of Q24 and Q25.

In the end I had to get my head around how the protect circuit worked and kept reading the explanation on the back page of the pdf file I found.

Protection System
The protection system is based around Q20-Q25. Under normal conditions Q20 – Q23 will be
off. At turn-on C40 will charge through R65 towards the +LT supply rail. The voltage is fed to the
base of Q25 via D11. When the voltage across C40 reaches approximately 10V Q25 will turn on
and thus turn on Q24. Resistor/diode network R67 & D38 connected between Q24 collector and
Q25 base provides positive feedback in order to make the turn-on/turn-off of Q24 more defined.
The collector of Q24 is connected via R68 R150 & Q45 to the coils of relays RLY1-3.
Transistors Q20 and Q21 are connected in such a way that a voltage of -650mV applied to the
emitter of Q20 will turn on Q20 and hence Q21. This will rapidly discharge C40 and hence turn
off Q25 and Q24 thus opening the output relays. Similarly Q23 is connected such that a base
voltage of +650mV will turn it, and hence Q22, on with the same resultant opening of the output
relays.
The output of each channel is fed via resistors R63 and R64 into C38-C39 and then via D9 and
D10 to Q23 base and Q20 emitter respectively. The combination of C38-C39 with R63 and R64
forms a low-pass filter, and so at signal frequencies C38-C39 will have no voltage across it. In
the event of a DC offset appearing at the output, however, C38-C39 will charge to a DC voltage,
turning on Q23 & Q22 or Q20 & Q21 depending upon the polarity, and hence opening the output
relays.
The Network consisting of R62, R61 and C37 provide the rapid turn-off feature of the protection
system. R61 is connected through the 90 degree thermal switch to D37 and D7, which are
connected to the secondaries of the mains transformer. The union of D37 and D7 will, therefore,
show a full-wave rectified version of the secondary voltage. This is averaged by C37 to a
negative DC voltage, reverse biasing D8 and, therefore, having no effect on the protection
system. Should one of the thermal switches open, or the power be turned off, C37 will be rapidly
charged towards the +LT rail via R61, forward biasing D8, turning Q23 on and opening the output
relays. If there is no rapid turn off, suspect R62 (100k) this may be open circuit. It is worth noting
that failure of this resistor will render the thermal shutdown useless.

In the end it was trial and error in measuring and removing parts. I started to suspect Z7 as I couldn't the 9.1v and then I found 24v on the other side of R69.

I then removed R69 to find it open circuit. Luckily I found a spare 24k resistor that I could use, stuck it in, turn it on and the the beautiful sound of the relays clicked in.

Next I was worried about the Level display board as I hadn't had that back on the board as I found it to be putting 7v on to the speaker terminals. I felt like I took a risk putting it back in without any other work but it all seemed fine after installing it back in.

I'm now getting 0.1mv on the one channel and -0.3mv on the other.

I think next I'd like to make sure everything is all ok to put the amplifier back in to service and to make any modifications required to make the amplifier more reliable.

Thank you to ChrisTech and Amptech for your help.

On a lot of threads I've read about the poor cooling through the case. I was thinking of getting some passive type heat sinks for the FET's but the ones I like are so expensive.

I like these
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But they are around £10!

I'll probably get these.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There are two pots per channel, ones the DC offset and the other says "set Iq"

It also says on the drawings
QUIESCENT VOLTAGE ADJUSTMENT
THIS IS MEASURED ACROSS THE
GATE DRIVE AT POINTS A B
TO GIVE 300mV +/- 10mV

I guessed this is the Iq pot and set it accordingly and the DC offset I've set to as close to zero as possible, is that correct?

I changed the Opamp IC the other week but I think the original one was slightly better so I'll be putting that back in.

Close to zero is good even 5mv per side. Blot in mini type fans with that heat sink tunnel is good.

A good soak test on load will show if all is working, I use a couple of massive resistors say 600w or more.

I've seen clad type 8 ohm 1000w types on ebay that make ideal dummy loads.

Unfortunately, I have no access to dummy loads. I'll take a look on eBay as I really need to get some at some point.

I'll look in to soak tests. I have access to a thermal camera at work so that could come in handy to see any weak components.

When I was adjusting the pots I found them to be very jumpy, would it be worth me replacing them or I might try washing them through with contact cleaner first?

Replacement of those trim pots will save time trying to clean them up.

If you have no load resistors just plug in a pair of speakers and play the amp at mid level for a few hours and if all is well you should be good to go.

Dummy loads can be made up from banks of resistors and fan cooled.

Hi all sorry to hijack this post but I have a ra4001 on the bench now its in protect mode I have about 2v of dc offset on one channel

its from one of the local nightclub's that we maintain I have put one of our QSCs in its place wile we try and sort it

I have done cold checks on the protect circuit and found r61 o/c and also replaced caps around there also checked components around q5/6/7 etc in the signal stage but still not found the culprit yet !!

the amp works if I connect our “Chinese” Pro sound test speaker before the relays even with our 100w test lamp in series with the mains so I assume the output stage is ok on this one

these amps sound fantastic as I have another one ive had over 10 years now and its never missed a beat and still going strong and is on rental in another venue running mid-tops on a Shermman rig, they are easy to work on but however the PCB print is another thing :(

busy weekend coming up so ill get back to it this next week and when I sort it ill post back as may help others on here .. I know its a old amp but shame to scrap it as its in very good condition

i'm happy this morning to find this subject !!
i have a lot of C-AUDIO amp and 2 are defective .
I never looked at the problem because I bought them for parts (k1058 / j162) but I have three that work and it works really well.
I will take the time to read the whole subject, thanks for the research

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.