Bybee Quantum Purifier Measurement and Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there is a resistor involved. It is an ADDED ingredient by Jack Bybee. However, that is NOT the Bybee device, just a 'selected' added resistor, now being 0.025 ohms. (0.3 ohms in the early days)
From photos I have seen, the construction is a resistor surrounded by a ceramic sleeve with a coating and metalization at each end.
Is this summary correct, and is the ceramic sleeve assembly conductive from end to end ?.

Eric.

Well, sure, BUT the computers were very hard, in those days, to keep from losing info. through a small mistake. Harder than anything I have seen lately, at least. I will be 69 years old next month, BUT I am still designing audio equipment and getting awards. Good enough for me.
However, I seriously doubt that most of you could get anything with any real sophistication running without a computer analysis. Since, I had to learn to get things working WITHOUT a computer to assist me, I don't need a computer like many of you do. Now, don't get me wrong, if and when I NEED a better computer, I will get one. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
However, I seriously doubt that most of you could get anything with any real sophistication running without a computer analysis. Since, I had to learn to get things working WITHOUT a computer to assist me, I don't need a computer like many of you do.

So you are saying that today's designers (younger generation) are less effective than you because of their apparent addiction to computers?

Now, don't get me wrong, if and when I NEED a better computer, I will get one. Any suggestions?

The suggestions would depend on what you want to use your computer for. If speed of circuit simulation is important to you then look into Intel's latest generation of multicore CPUs - I read a review that the i5 2500K is about the best bang-for-the-buck as it will overclock easily to beyond 4.5GHz.

No, it is just that I have a MAC, still, and today, most engineering programs are not made to be easily used with it. I did PLENTY of computer simulation in the 1990's with an early version of IntuSPICE. Now, the early program will not work with my later machines. I miss it, sometimes, but experience has given me many answers that I can call up without a computer simulation. I can actually BREADBOARD a circuit, as I have a professional solderless breadboard. Most original designs start there.
For touch up of RIAA EQ, etc. I can use my HP3563 that will resolve +/- 10 milli-Bel resolution. Good enough?

Last edited:
Why would I want a simulation when I can measure the real thing?

Because it is a tool that, when sensibly applied, can make the design process more efficient. The trick is in knowing when it is useful and when it is not. It goes without saying that the results are only as good as the models utilized (garbage in == garbage out). There does seem to be a tendency in some circles to overdo it, at which point it becomes more of an excersise in mental masturbation.

What do I care? I have a roomful of test equipment, a decent computer, and I know what I am doing. Your position in life may be different, and that's OK.
Besides PMA has done any simulations I have needed so far. Dimitri helps me sometimes. I help 'everybody else' when given a chance.

Last edited:
Yes, there is a resistor involved. It is an ADDED ingredient by Jack Bybee. However, that is NOT the Bybee device, just a 'selected' added resistor, now being 0.025 ohms. (0.3 ohms in the early days)
So the 'selected' resistor is shunting the conductive ceramic sleeve assembly (ie the two elements are in electrical parallel) ?.
How conductive is the sleeve assembly ?.

Thanks, Eric.

Status
Not open for further replies.