By how much can fiberglass actually 'increase' enclosure volume??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Laurie, (man's name), Fincham-the F in KEF-wrote a paper about bandpass enclosures and he mentioned how some loose fiberglass or poly fibers actually messed up the response quite a bit. It seems a piece of the stuffing had gotten loose, was waving back and forth with the vibration and was causing all kinds of irregularities.

Given that fact, as Officeboy pointed out, having these things dancing and bouncing around gives one pause. I won't say they won't work, as I have never tried them, but if one piece of loose stuffing causes problems, how about a whole enclosure full of styrofoam peanuts, as we call them over here?

Don't they kinda rattle around?, and I would be worried to see some come puffing out of a port too. haha.

The first time that I used them was loose in the bottom of a vented cabinet and yes, on deeper bass notes, a few would occassionally come out of the port. (Just added to the amusement)

As regards hearing them move about, all I can say is if you can hear them there is not much point in having your system playing because you won't hear the music. ;)

Given that fact, as Officeboy pointed out, having these things dancing and bouncing around gives one pause. I won't say they won't work, as I have never tried them, but if one piece of loose stuffing causes problems, how about a whole enclosure full of styrofoam peanuts, as we call them over here?

The second time that I used them, I divided the cabinet in half vertically and stuffed the rear half, holding the chips in place with some net material. So they couldn't move around or fall out of the port and there was an added advantage with them absorbing the rear wave of the driver.

The above is based on doing (and listening) and not on speculation! :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.