Buzzz goes the gainclone(ground loop)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now we're talking

Hi Butcher:D,

You picked an excellent post, indeed.

Extreme_Boky said:
...Usually there are 0.01uF with 0.1uF cap in parallel between ground planes and chassis. However, earthing the chassis to mains ground is not a good idea for many reasons, especially if you have more then one unit’ chassis grounded to mains ground AND they (units) are connected together (which they are via interconnects) AND they are plugged in to separate mains outlets. The earth pins in those separate mains outlets are usually not at the same potential, which causes current to run - and it is very unclean current!!!

Extreme_Boky said:
Using mains ground is NOT a good idea.

It just doesn't mix with audio.
It brings much more problems than it solves.
Amen.:angel:

guys I am really trying to figure out how to fix this problem.

http://webpages.charter.net/ajbertelson/outlet.jpg

this is the way it is hooked up rite now. I have tried no power strips, different power strips, power from a different outlet. Still goes buzz buzz. Going to open up the the amp this weekend but last time I checked everything was secure.

How can I interupt the loop without burning the house down?

AJ Bertelson said:
How can I interupt the loop without burning the house down?

You still didn't answer (or checked) if you have more than one earthed device on your system.
Anyway, the easy way for your problem is signal (isolating) trafos.
Just for testing, you can try those cheap things used in car audio.
Insert them on the interconnects going from the pre to the power amp, or on the source.
But something strikes me now: I've seen problems with cable TV.
Do you have a video or TV set connected to CATV and to your system?
I do, but I don't have noise.
But I know a guy who had hum and had to put one of those car audio signal isolators between the video and the amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.