BURSON SINGLE AUDIO OPAMPS ! ONE OF THE GREATEST !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
burson sound great in my Neve 5043 compressor

I've installed Bursons in my Neve portico 5043 compressor over ten months ago and I'm very impressed, sounds more open, more low end, and the high end extension is noticeably improved. I have a second Neve 5043 with stock 5532 op-amps and it sounds kind of dull by comparison. The Neve 5043 has input and output transformer so it is far from neutral to begin with, but in this application I love it
The warranty is almost expired on the second unit and I'm going to order a second pair.
On a really neutral piece of gear I may have a different opinion.

How does one improve the sound of a component by replacing the op amp(s) with a discrete circuit(s) or any other preferred method while listening to music recorded through hundreds of op amps?

Can recordings be disopamped?

Gee I hope you know that if you have been told once you must have been told a billion times not to exaggerate!

There are recordings made in that the sound has never been through an op-amp!

Then the typical recording going into an analog mixer will go through the mic preamp (often discrete) into an optional tone control (one opamp forward several providing selective feedback in many designs) this may drive a mix buss buffer. Then there will be a mix combiner and maybe a buffer to drive the output. This will for most modern digital recordings done with an analog mixer go into one more gain stage at the A/D converter.

Now as all the inputs are in parallel the contribution of the gain stages up to the mix buss will be averaged. So for an analog mixer you will have as few as two straight op-amps and as many as six.

For a digital mixer the input gain stage on most of the better ones is a discrete design. Even the cheapies will often use a discrete input into an op-amp. Some folks use an outboard preamp for improved sound quality. Some folks even use an outboard A/D converter!

Now I have had backroom chats with some of the designers of these outboard devices and guess what? They use designer resistors, capacitors, and semiconductors. Just like the parts many here swear by (or at.) Some folks have parts, particularly transformers, made specifically for them.

Now many of these folks even select their parts by listening to them! It is just a coincidence that the parts that sound better to them also measure better... or not.

So the op-amp score can be zero for the record chain!

Steady on guys, let's not even go down this route......again!

I have several sets of Burson Opamps they are incredible. I run them in my pre amp stage and also in my cdp I/V. I've been absolutely impressed with their results.

First post says to me here we have someone who is well pleased with the results of their outlay and effort looking to share their experience with the community. Sure everyone is entitled to their own opinion and a balanced view makes the thread valuable but what I would say is that if you have never tried burson opamps, you are simply not entitled to have an opinion!!! If you tried but didn't like, by all means contribute to the debate.

What I will say to vmed_cha_gr is nice work and enjoy!

+10

I stumbled across this thread last night, read some of it, usual naysayers that don't know what they are talking about if you ask me..

I was tipped off by 2 fellow ASR users, that Burson single op amp replacement in the Emitter 2 exclusive was a definite upgrade, I read into it as I usually do. My E2 had the later OPA 551 ic's fitted, so my first thing was to try the Ad843 that ASR originally used, and employ various bypass caps across 1&7. There were slight improvements, nothing major, but worth the time and little cost. I did then order the Bursons, and fitted them on the day of arrival, together with a .1uf Vishay Roderstein across 1&7. Yes, again a small improvement, but I had to let them settle for 100 hrs minimum. So, left system on for a week, then tried again.

To all of those that have not done the above, you are not in any position to debate on the benefit these Op amps provide. Looking at data tells us absolutely nothing I'm afraid, as much as I'd like these to 'test' better, they are average at best on paper. Which is fine if all you guys want to do is study specs, I personally would much rather listen to Music that is startlingly realistic at home, and that is helped no end by using the Burson Op amps.

And before anyone goes on about this dbx testing, you don't need to to hear the difference. Placebo? Give me a break, I don't give a s**t what option sounds better, as I have no affiliation to any if them. Would I swap them back to ic's? Er no, no way. Anyone want some ic's, I have some for sale.

Thanks for the input, always great to hear subjective analysis and experiences from others, such info along with data goes along way ....

sometimes audio is like relegion , you hear what you want to hear.

in my case one of my amps arcam delta 290P has more than 10 opamps , which ones should i replace with discret ?

10 !!!, i would replace the whole amp .... ;) cheaper ........ !!!!

Hi ! I just mounted the Burson opamps as A I/V stage . 1.5 kohm in series with each input. 22 kohm from inverting input to the output. 22 kohm from noninverting input to ground. THe I/V resistors at the output of PCM 1794 is 24,9 ohm.

No output from the Bursons at all. :eek: Bought a chinese clock so could be that wich is failing.

Or could the small ( 24,9 ohm ) I/ V resistores cause a probleme ?

How does one determine that one component outperforms another, is it different, is it placebo, or is it complexity that boggles the mind or is it price? What is the definition of out-performance?

I think many of you missed the original question and a lot of unnecessary arguing took place.

The question was how one determines that one component outperforms another subjectively, whether this is type A capacitor compared to type B, a Burson op-amp versus an LM741, whatever. The question remains unanswered.

Stating that the highs were more pronounced or the bass was perceived better defined, I think may have been a better qualification for the differences heard, But one outperformed the other is a nebulous statement.

:D Yes you are absolutely right it is not possible to make a conclusion. Hope the end result is better than before. It had a topsound before this modifications but I am very exsperienced and most off the changes have shown results earlier.

The biggest change was to move almost everything . Shorter leads Higher voltage for the Dexa opamps we had ( unluckly my friend made some mistakes so they did not function) 22 V instead off 12 V . The Burson is hard wired . All the leads was cut off ! ;)

New R core trafo common for 2 different voltages, the 5 V for Dac and 15 V for Mox single ended linestage etc.

Sorry for my English I slept very little .

The question was how one determines that one component outperforms another subjectively, whether this is type A capacitor compared to type B, a Burson op-amp versus an LM741, whatever.

Unless the effect is gross, you can't without doing a fairly elaborate experiment. Well, you can imagine you can and write sentences about it, but it's null content. Since I couldn't do a good experimental setup to accurately compare the sonics of Burson modules versus monolithic opamps and the differences were not gross, I haven't commented, and am content to allow people to argue endlessly about things for which they have no good data. That sort of thing is uninteresting to me- I can only go by the differences in all the easily measurable added stuff not present in the original signal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.