Burning Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, amp number 26 has the IRF244 / IRF9240 complimentary pairs, and since they have felt tip marks like "439 ... 394" times 4 pairs per side, I will assume they have been matched electronically after assembly to the resistors on the boards ... so I would hate to "destroy" the boards by removal simply to install my own projects. I suppose someone should have these and I would be more than happy to exchange these heat sinks with mounted and matched boards and MOSFETs <for> heat sinks without any boards or transistors installed ... any takers? :smash:

Nelson: I would like to obtain a transformer of about 600 VA capable of producing DC rail voltages of about +80/0/-80 VDC (yes, w/center tap) and hopefully you have such and will let me buy one. I insist that I pay for this ...

Variac said:
Yes, it would be a shame to undo the matching. It would help to know if in fact the resistors were taken into account. I get the idea that they aren't. Either way, couldn't you just unbolt the boards, not the entire side panel?
The transistor leads go through the side panel into the output board, so no separating the board from the heat sink without unsoldering all of the transistors.

Besides, the side panel is easy to remove. The whole chassis can easily be disassembled into individual panels. It's going to be super easy to work with.

hitsware said:

What kind of Bipolar experiments did you do ?
I thought you were devoted to Mosfets.

I believe you'll find that Nelson is devoted to what works.
Add to that the P-ch gain-shelving quirk that seems to be spreading (like an infectious disease) and you could easily imagine a motive for using bipolars. That said, Nelson is in a position to buy and stockpile large quantities of parts so he may be able to coast for a while if he so chooses.
I've been eyeing bipolars for a while, though I've yet to do much in that direction. Too busy.

Grey

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
hitsware said:
What kind of Bipolar experiments did you do ?

In the dark-of-night kinds of experiments, Muuuuuhahahahahaha...

FastEddy said:
Nelson: I would like to obtain a transformer of about 600 VA capable of producing DC rail voltages of about +80/0/-80 VDC (yes, w/center tap) and hopefully you have such and will let me buy one. I insist that I pay for this ...

Sorry, all I have is the 1.5 to 2 KVA stuff, no 600 VA.

:cool:

More to come shortly.

MOSFET Questions

Hi Everybody,

I've been talking to FastEddy about swapping him my MJ bipolar heatsink assemblies for his IRF244/9240s.

The good news is that the swap would leave me with two comp MOSFET amps that I would run in "mono balanced operation" per the F4 manual. The trouble is that I would want the two to be identical but one would has IRF240/9240s and the other would has IRF244/9240s.

Nelson tells me that the 240s are nearly identical to the 244s with exception of the 240 having slightly fatter pins in a non-standard TO-3 package.

I wonder if they sound the same or close enough for practical purposes? Any thoughts or experiences with this?

To further complicate matters, Nelson has IRF250s on hand. If the 240/244 thing doesn't work out, would I then substitute the 250s for the 24Xs using the existing 9240's as their P-channel counterparts? Or would I need to find another P-channel part? Or would I need to use all 250s to create single-ended amps? That ceases to be an F4, doesn't it, or am I missing something?

If the neither of the 250 options work out, I could always go back to the 240. I know I can get them but getting them matched is another matter.

Some guidance would be very helpful.

Thanks.

k

Let me join this party.

In order to make this great, I would like to offer holes drilling and tapping to all the people that will do this project on original Nelson chassis, and that are in need of help with metal work. There are not to many holes that you most likely will need, but if you need I will be happy to do it for you. Like I explained, this is just for people from this group with Nelson's cases. These cases are so gorgeous that it will be sad not to do it well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.