Here is a quick shot at the boards you need for a stereo BA-2. :D

Attachments

• BA2_sm.jpg
    BA2_sm.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 1,041
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
They are pretty versatile. Why not just use 2 output driver boards hooked to one bias board? One output board on each side of the case? Is there any reason that it is better to have all NPN on one side and all PNP on the other? I wouldn't think so.

If you only want two pairs per heatsink just don't use all the MOSFET mounting holes. You can also cut the output boards shorter if having an empty area without MOSFETS bothers you. The boards have connectors on both ends so they can be cut to be symetrical. If you only want one pair per side of the case, you could cut one output board into two short , symetrical ones- you wouldn't even need 2 boards.. :)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
They are pretty versatile. Why not just use 2 output driver boards hooked to one bias board?

Hmm, they are actually the same, arent they
I mean, only difference is supply polarity
All other components and connections are the same

Not sure, but wouldnt it be possible to mount a one channel BA-2 board with all NPN or PNP respectively
And supply both the positive and negative power supply board lines with either positive or negative respectively

Sure looks like that to me
Or have i overlooked something ?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Christian was kind enough to design the boards based on Nelson Pass's schematics, and a tiny little bit of input from me, but they will be distributed by diyAudio as a fund raiser, which was the intention of Mr. Pass. The price will not be excessive though. They will be available in a special store area here in a few days. The great thing about them is that they are so modular, that it will be very easy to try alternative circuits as suggested by Nelson in future articles. You will usually be able to just replace one board, again available at the store, to try the latest thing..

Mark

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, the BA-1 and BA-2 boards are available at the "Secret" diyAudio store just for you wanting Burning Amps!

The diyAudio Secret Store

The thing to keep in mind is that the boards are "beta" for now because no one has completed an amp.

So there is a slight chance that there will be issues with some aspect of the boards. If so, it should be easy to fix, as the boards are modular so that everything wouldn't have to be replaced if there is some tremendous issue with one of them. If there is a big problem we will replace the defective boards, if it is just a matter of a jumper wire and cutting a trace, or bending leads to insert them, then that won't be considered a serious defect.

If you aren't willing to be a pioneer, we suggest that you wait for the go-ahead once an amp of the model that you want is proven.

On the other hand, we want people to build some, so for the 2 first amps of each type that are reported to work, with posted photo documentation , we will give the member who makes them store credit for the cost of the boards towards any future purchase. So the boards would be pretty much free for those that make the first 2 amps of each type.

Looking forward to the reports. And please post here if there is a problem with the store.

Variac

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Keep us informed. I'll forward to JAson who whipped the store into shape. The voltage gain board is the same for both amps, and the people with a Burning Amp Festival chassis don't need the output boards. The voltage gain boards will fit in the chassis from the Burning Amp Festival, verticall right behind the front faceplate, but Nelson recommends that it be in a separate box for the small chassis, but if you are clever you could get it in there - smaller format power supply caps would help a lot..Having the voltage gain board outboard in any of the amps increases S/N and makes swapping out the board easier if another gainstage design comes along

Board outlines. For those trying to find components that match the footprints, here are the outlines of BA-2.

Please let me know if there are errors in the pdfs.

Attachments

• frontend_a4.frontassembly.pdf
    43.2 KB · Views: 349
  • frontend_letter.frontassembly.pdf
    43.1 KB · Views: 254
  • bias_a4.frontassembly.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 242
  • bias_letter.frontassembly.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 202
  • output_a4.frontassembly.pdf
    19 KB · Views: 245
  • output_letter.frontassembly.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 215
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I ordered some. You have to add to the cart it seems twice, Once from the front page, and then on the specific part(s) your buying. No biggie, but may not be right.
Using IE 8.0.6

Thanks for the store beta test :)

Yes, it's because the set is a "configurable product" but with only 1 configuration option. Magento is a bit funny like that, I've kind of used a hack to enable this. Thanks for the feedback.

Also, I don't think store email sending was working. That should be fixed now.