Burning Amplifier BA-2

You are right. And what about this circuit? Will this increase input impedance and still retain the 1.33mA through the TL431?

Attachments

• Mosfet_output.png
    Mosfet_output.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 449
The 10uF polypropylene cap on the power supply. Is it ok to use several polypropylenes of smaller size as long as they add up to 10uF? I've just seen some rated at 100V which are much smaller than the ones I am using (thinking of the next project here). Would 8200pF be enough?
Chris

Last edited:
I don't know of anyone who has regulated the front end. It sounds very good without one. I have been toying with the idea of putting one together and have ordered some boards from the regulated power supply guys elsewhere on this site, these being the BiB voltage regulator which comes in +ve and -ve format. However, I haven't tried the design yet. I have used an SPower regulator from Sercal in the UK (which will go up to 24V) on another project (+ve only) and it is very good--much better than a modified LM317 design.
Now we have a BA-3 to experiment with so I think regulation may take a back seat.
I would be interested if you decide to regulate. Keep us informed.
Chris

One possibility not too complicated, take two PSU from Aleph P and make a symmetrical PSU with +- 24v or +-30V changing the Zener diodes and using an xformer with 2 x30V

In this way I fed the BA-3....:D

Better of course could be shunty!

Just looked at that design and I'm going to have to try it. How many Zeners for 12V?
However, we need more than this to generate a very low level of noise.
Chris

Front End Regulated Supply

Dear Backbones & Generg hi,

Thanks for your answers and suggestions.
Can I take the opportunity here to propose the idea of the implementation by the BA community of a suitable regulated supply pcb as an upgrade.
Can this be taken under consideration by the heavy artillery on the forum?
My opinion is that it will be excellent if we could see something like that in the diy store.

Highly appreciating all the help and support.

I am curious about trying to add some single-ended bias to my BA-2 (as described in "Leaving class A"). I remember reading somewhere that it can be achieved by adding a resistor between the output and the negative rail but I can not find that post again. I am not a very experienced DIYer so before trying that I wanted to check with you if you think it will work?

If it will work, what resistor value should be used? In the article NP writes that a good number of the single-ended bias would be 10% of the push pull bias, which in my case is 0,15A -> 24V rail / 0,15A = 160 ohm. Is that a correct assumption?