Burning Amplifier BA-2

cviller,

How are you coming along on the Bias boards?

Thanks,

The bias boards are not all that exciting... I think I'll make them like the attached, but I want to make it easy to place on top of the output boards, so it might change a bit.
This board is currently 4x4 cm.

Attachments

• bias.png
    bias.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,554
Good thing you write - with BAF and all, the layout has not been my top priority.
The thing that is causing the delays is actually a problem of deciding how to incorporate the bias boards to the output stage - keeping it versatile but yet easy for people to get the thing assembled without too much headache... :yikes:

The frontend stage is about done and I can clean it for production in no time. :D

Finally some progress on the output and bias boards.

The bias board is 4.5x4.5 cm and output board is 24x4.5 cm.

The idea is that the bias board can be attached in either end of the output board and the mounting holes and connections are lined up so that the boards can overlap.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Before fab I'll clean it up a bit and write some text on the boards to make the assembly easier.

Attachments

• bias02_ph.png
    bias02_ph.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,192
  • output_3p_nb_ph.png
    output_3p_nb_ph.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,180
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The output boards are 3 complementary pairs, so if you wanted to do a Full Monty 6 pairs per channel BA-2 you would use 2 output boards per channel. Of course the actual BA-2 chassis' already have output boards, these are for people that don't have a chassis- or just need output boards for other projects....

Last edited:
The bias board is 4.5x4.5 cm and output board is 24x4.5 cm.

The idea is that the bias board can be attached in either end of the output board and the mounting holes and connections are lined up so that the boards can overlap.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Before fab I'll clean it up a bit and write some text on the boards to make the assembly easier.

Hi Cviller
The boards look good.
Is the output board for one channel or half of one channel.
It would be nice to have the option to do mono blocks as well.
If you could do 2 output boards per channel as an option for people that might want to do mono blocks that would be good.
ie n-channel on one heatsink (on one side of case) and p-channel on another heatsink (on the other side of the amp case)

You know what I mean all N-channel on one board and all p-channel on the other board (as an option).
I can see this design being scaled up quite easily with cascoded input and 40V rails.

Last edited:
Hi Than1973,

The output boards are with three pairs on each board, so that you can use two boards pr. channel if you want to do exactly as the article suggests - but papa also mentions that it is perfectly fine to use fewer devices, which I would expect many would want to do...

If you want all N's or all P's on one board you can short V+ to V- as well as the control signals - I'm not sure it is the best solution to have all N's on one board and all P's on the other, but it can be done easily. ;)

Thanks cviller
I am not interested in 12 output devices, 6 is enough, 8 would be the absolute maximum.
I know Nelson does this sought of thing with the Alephs ie all current sources on one heatsink and the output device on the other heatsink, it could be a completely differet story for a push pull out put stage though, as you say.
I suppose I could use two output boards and only put four devices on each board (ie on each heatsink)

Anyway good work.