Burning Amplifier BA-2

I have just been re-reading the BA2 instructions and I see the 10uF supply line caps are in fact film caps not electrolytics. I've just been looking at the price of polypropylene caps and they are (or can be) very expensive but even more astonishing is their size for this capacitance. Am I reading this correctly?
Regards,
Chris

I have just been re-reading the BA2 instructions and I see the 10uF supply line caps are in fact film caps not electrolytics. I've just been looking at the price of polypropylene caps and they are (or can be) very expensive but even more astonishing is their size for this capacitance. Am I reading this correctly?
Regards,
Chris
Epcos B32926C3106M runs around $10 each at DK.

You can use polyester, polycarbonate to no ill effect.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi, just to clarify, it's ok to use the Elna Silmic both in the power supply and at the frontend "D" port?

Thanks

As far as I know..:D.... the Silmic and Silmic 2 series is only for audio purposes, there are of course Elna power capacitors, but they are not named Silmic and they have the high values (15000uF) you need....:D

good success:)

btw: even Nelson uses in Xp10 and Xp20 Silmics-

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think BA-2 depends on your Heat Sink capabilities and your willingness to run high bias and/or higher voltage rails. The article seemed to be written that way and the DiyAudio boards designed with 3 pairs or 6 pairs but, some of the chasis with 4 or 6 pairs? Kinda more build to taste :D
And then, there is class AB operation...

Hi, just to clarify, it's ok to use the Elna Silmic both in the power supply and at the frontend "D" port?

Thanks

Thanks for the info you guys (and gals?).
I had bought some Rubycon RX30 caps at 10uF before re-reading the article but I haven’t listened to them so I was betting on the label. I recently tried some 220uF caps with a 12V power supply. The layout was a diode bridge, 22000uF cap (Mundorf Mlytic), voltage reg (LM338), 22000 cap (Panasonic) and then the 220uF cap. I compared a Rubycon ZA and an Elna Silmic of the same value. The silmic came across as very easy on the ear (the power supply was running a Pure digital radio which I did my listening tests on), very analogue but in comparison with the ZA it was a little too warm in the bass. The ZA was very relaxed but more transparent and produced a tighter bass. Who would think a single component could make such a difference considering there is another voltage reg in the radio. So for this reason I probably wouldn’t go for the Silmic (although I’m using them to good affect in a Quad FM4 tuner on the power supply). I would have gone for the ZA caps but they are not made any more and I couldn’t find the values I was after.
I bought some 10uF Ampohm Polypropylenes last night for about £8 a throw as they appear to be made in the UK, are audio grade and Humble Homemade HiFi guy likes them.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Congratulation, good decision and founded on your own.....:D
Yes the silmics emphasize a bit the upper bass region! I like it. I heard silmics against Obbligato and the decision was not easy, the Obbs have better colors, but bit less dynamics ....
The good with DIY you can decide now and:devily: change later again.......:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
maybe because photos are old ?

Attachments

• buehehe.gif
    buehehe.gif
    33.3 KB · Views: 423