Burning Amp BA-3b (Balanced)

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Same PCB. You need 1 per channel. Note R5.

243879d1318117351-burning-amp-ba-3b-balanced-202-bba-3-sch.jpg
What about R5? Was it added to the balanced version?
Also, is the board-stuffed or unstuffed-available for purchase?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
No bias boards are required if you are just building the preamp.

Cheers,
Dennis
Thanks Dennis.

Aside from the pair of balanced (XLR) and pair of unbalanced (RCA) connectivity, the only feature
I'd like to have is wireless remote volume/mute. I haven't yet chosen a DAC and the one that I end up settling on,while certainly having remote to control output levels from digital sources, may not have
an analog source pass through-or one that's not remote controlled.

However, would this be difficult for you to implement, and/or would it compromise sound quality?
If so, then just a pair of manual attenuators.

the text wraps automatically to fit the width of your display.
A Member with a very wide display will see long lines of text since less wrapping will be required.
Carriage Return+Line Feed will format a new line and restart the text on the next line.
Double CRLF will insert an empty line.

Members who attach small pics will not upset the default wrapping.
Members who attach enormous pics will not upset the default wrapping because the default format is to download thumbnails that fit the screen width.
Members who use a remote server to defeat the standard "attach" facility for both small and large pics will automatically force the computer to download the whole pic file, instead of the smaller thumbnail.
Enormous pics then use a virtual screen that can be many times larger than the actual display. Text in that post will wrap to suit that virtual display. i.e. other Members with a display that is narrower than the enormous remote server pic cannot see the very wide text.

If you ATTACH your pics the default formatting will give all Members the opportunity to see the text since it will wrap to fit the Members display.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Why Text in My Posts Don't Wrap Evenly?

the text wraps automatically to fit the width of your display. A Member with a very wide display will see long lines of text since less wrapping will be required. Carriage Return+Line Feed will format a new line and restart the text on the next line.

Double CRLF will insert an empty line.
Thanks Andrew for that very complete reply. But there's no Line Feed key on my Lenovo laptop. Could the
key have another name?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Also, I could be wrong but it seems like for some reason using the Times Roman font and/or at 11 point (from pasted MS Word 2003 text) seems to cause less wrapping issues, but still quite bad overall. I have to keep randomly lengthening and shortening the lines of text and preview them so that the text is not all over the screen. Ugh.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
BBA-3 preamp:Need Balanced & Unbalanced I/O for F4 amps.

I have yet to settle on a DAC but it will have two pairs of outputs, balanced and unbalanced. The balanced pair would only feed the preamp, which will feed my F4 mono blocks to drive the Acorn ESLs.

But when not listening to the Acorns, I would otherwise use the DAC’s unbalanced pair to feed the preamp’s unbalanced inputs, which would feed the unbalanced inputs of one of my F4 amps. That F4 would drive a pair of very efficient floor standing TV speakers.

Of course, I would need to use some kind of speaker selector
(i.e. SS-4 | Speaker Selectors | Niles Audio ??) to select when that F4 amp drives the pair of TV speakers and when it drives the one Acorn ESL.

However, should or must a switch be installed in the preamp to enable only the balanced or only the unbalanced I/O pairs at any one time? And how might resistor R5 be involved in this?

Am I asking for trouble by wanting this balanced and unbalanced functionality, even if not needed simultaneously?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Btw, Andrew & 6L6, my last post was in Times Roman text 11 point pasted from a Ms Word 2003 page. I didn't once move lines around at all after my first preview before posting.
This post was typed in the quick reply box using the default font and point size.

Yes, I know but Andrew said that you need to hit the Return key PLUS (+) the 'Line Feed" key.
Two different keys at once.
my use of + was not meant to indicate holding a key while the second was pressed.

It meant that the one key does two functions. Carriage Return and also Line Feed. This term comes from the mechanical typewriter that had the big lever up on the right hand side. It returned the paper carriage to the left and when it reached the end of it's stroke it activated the roller line feed. It was two operations.

BA3B as pre drive F4 mono mono

Now i am used BA3B pre to drive F4 mono mono via XLR, it sounds good.
I had tried SE in BAL out , but the sound degrade too much.
I still need SE for the LP.
BA3B, i have setup switch for the R5 already.
How to wire to let me switch between SE and BAL?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
BA-3 IR Remote Volume/Mute?

One thing I'd like to add to my BA-3 FE before I build it is a wireless remote for volume/mute. What fun will there be in having to sit next to my gear to ride the volume manually? Of course, most DACs have it remote, but what if my source feeding the BA-3 is analog and if the DAC I buy later on this year has no analog input pass through that is not under remote control?

Can someone suggest (or have time to design?) something that can be added to the BA-3, without imposing any sonic compromises, of course?

I'm using AMB's LCDuino and Delta1 / Delta2 boards for full preamp functionality. The LCDuino is the control unit which includes a small display. The delta1 board is a stepped attenuator which allows the user to pick the number of steps (up to 128), the size of the steps and the impedance. The delta2 board is your input and output selector (if one is needed in your case). It's a pretty slick solution that allows you to use just about any preamp board of your choosing.