Burning Amp BA-3

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
...... and have FE separate in module with connection to both amp and psi.

that will be very fine too ;)

but if having other amps, like say tube mono power amps, it will be harder to change amps

in that sense you are right that it depends on individual setup

you could ofcourse design power buffer tube amps, using the BA3 frontend as preamp/driver too
I have thought about that, but.....a bit too special :whip:

anyone know of a good balanced digital/chip controller/attennuator ? :D

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I would do what I have suggested and will be doing personally. Put output board and bias boards in main case with Psi and have FE separate in module with connection to both amp and psi.

not too late to change my mind about this :p

Skip Pack, I think its 0,5watt Bourns or Wishay, but watch leg configuration on the board

Attachments

• BA-3 setup.png
    BA-3 setup.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 821
not too late to change my mind about this :p

Skip Pack, I think its 0,5watt Bourns or Wishay, but watch leg configuration on the board

Great thing about setup provided by Nelson is that you can run any decent pre-amp into the BA output stage. You can set it up to run off output PSU or it can have its own special setup. Aa Triode AL said, this does away with the constant re-integration of new ideas. PLug and PLay. This may not be the purist route taken in some of his FW stuff, but it does afford great flexibility. For me it is an experiment in sound. I hope to learn an identify different types of musical reproduction and the associated topology and hopefully make a decision about what my finally will be. Then again, I could just keep them all:)

IF you haven't noticed, JBL4435 completed an F5X using the store boards. Congrats on a job well done.

Post #42
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/196889-f5x-diyaudio-boards-p-f5c-2v20e-5.html

The thing I found interesting was the fact that the BA-3B beats his F5X in the measurement department at 1W

BA-3B post#248
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/195303-burning-amp-ba-3-a-25.html

Of course this says nothing of sound, but i think it shows just how good a job this idea of Papa's does. On top of that, you have no feedback (signal purity) and the opportunity to adjust harmonics.

Tinitus,
I can add:
  • when multiple outputs are used from the BA-3 FE, for a multichannel outlet schema, all with amplification x1, then each can be filtered passively, with low impedance.
  • likewise, in this situation, line levels per output (pair) can be added. This balances the output for driver mismatches, imho this balance ideally is around 3-5 db level differences
albert

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Tinitus,
I can add:
  • when multiple outputs are used from the BA-3 FE.........

• thanks albert, I'm not sure, but you may have misunderstood me

I'm not talking about multiple output fets
    only of being able to drive another amp of similar power buffer design
    I think its what woulld be known as bi-amping
    but maybe thats not adviseable
    is that what you are saying ?

well, the 'secret' is, other than balanced BA-2, I might have a simple circlotron tube amp project ;)
    but have not yet asked my good 'teachers' about this
    anyway, I probably won't need more than one amp at a time

here is what I have until further happens
    and some components still missing on layout
    can't stop it now :)

Attachments

• BA-3 work 5.jpg
    BA-3 work 5.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 800
- being able to drive another amp of similar power buffer design
= known as bi-amping

I probably won't need more than one amp at a time

The idea I referred to is bi-amping indeed; this means one driver stage (FE) does the hard work, the rest is -if needed different types - a plain follower stage with specific qualities. Some output stages sound different than others, as you know. Some better for treble frequency others for bass.

Switching around is a central theme with the new modular structure.

& albert

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
[*]when multiple outputs are used from the BA-3 FE, for a multichannel outlet schema, all with amplification x1, then each can be filtered passively, with low impedance.
[*]likewise, in this situation, line levels per output (pair) can be added. This balances the output for driver mismatches, imho this balance ideally is around 3-5 db level differences
[/LIST]
albert

ok, reading it again, I understand your post much better now ;)

if being built as balanced BA-3, would it be reasonable to say that it will less or not at all affected by driving low impedance loads, like biamping two amps ?