Burning Amp 2023!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
No contracts have been signed, but we are aiming for September 30th-October 1st. We may move from Ft. Mason if we find a suitable (cheaper) venue.

YES WE DID! NEW VENUE, PETALUMA COMMUNITY CENTER, PETALUMA CALIFORNIA, SEPTEMBER 30TH-OCTOBER 1ST!

Tickets available here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/burnin...bby-tickets-695560479117?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

If you would like to help organizing this thing, raise your hand!

-Tom-

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
No contracts have been signed, but we are aiming for September 30th-October 1st. We may move fro Ft. Mason if we find a suitable (cheaper) venue.

If you would like to help organizing this thing, raise your hand!

-Tom-
Happy to lend a helping hand, Tom!

I am with the other Tom: Fort Mason kinda feels like BAF’s spiritual home. Hopefully, it works out.

Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ft. Mason certainly makes it more of a destination vacation for those of us who spend ~$1k on airfare, hotel to be there.

Then again, taking a look around to see if there are other attractive venues available for less seems like a reasonable thing to do.

I'm planning to make it this year. Hopefully I'll have something with me for the swap meet/raffle.

Tom

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Easier to access? I find it pretty easy to walk there from just about any hotel downtown. I usually stay at the Holiday Inn on Van Ness. It's a 20-minute walk to Ft. Mason. I wouldn't want to drive there. I could probably shorten the walk by taking a cable car or other public transit. I do get that some can't walk that far or have large projects they want to show off and they'll probably find the Fort a bit inconvenient.

Tom

I found time for some nighttime photography last year at BAF.

IMG_2153.jpeg

Tom

Reactions: 12 users
I can’t say I encountered anything that could even register on the NYC filth scale.
Yeah... Perspective factors in. I'm used to Calgary which is a pretty clean city.

Comparing 2018/2019 BAF to 2022 BAF it seemed the homeless population had gotten in worse shape. The people were harmless, though. I'd be more worried about Idiot With Gun, but that's the case anywhere in the US.

Tom

Reactions: 2 users
Plus affordable accommodations for guests would likely be an hour away.
Yeah. That's another big plus of Ft. Mason. Even Holiday Inn on Van Ness is affordable (by SF standards) and there are plenty of low-cost options around. There are also plenty of eateries.

If I had to rent a car and drive to the venue I'd probably stay away. It's already an expensive weekend.

Tom

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't ever seen ANY posts here, claiming that the BAF held in Redwood City (in 2015?? don't remember) was an awful disappointment and a miserable waste of travel dollars.
The Redwood City BA was really a pretty good one, with all the small rooms more representative of a domestic environment. It was probably less social for the people who were demoing though, not hanging and chatting with their roommates. Fort Mason does feel like home at this point though.

Reactions: 1 user