Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This stuff keeps being amusing. 90% of the proposed mechanisms for the improvements of burn-in are there in spades in cheaper wire.

Also the effects of poor material and design can swamp the difference made by burn-in.

Exactly. I hear back peddling.
It was an obvious thing before - a critical step for any new cable, this burn in.

Like I said some posts ago - absurd.

Please show me where I've said it will make a difference with all cables, stop making up your own story and try to put it at my feet.

Without a doubt the cheaper wire needs burning in more than the expensive cable. If not there shouldn't be such a difference in price. The really good cables should hardly need any burning in because of their superior materials and construction. No sitting on the fence here.

Your reasoning seems logical but you have clearly never tried or experienced burn-in, for some reason it seems that the better cables take longer to burn-in, perhaps because it allows for more detail (thus differences) to be observed.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Please show me where I've said it will make a difference with all cables, stop making up your own story and try to put it at my feet.

That's an example of the typical nonsense we all hear - an "out". Either you hear it or you don't. Either it's important or it's not.

"Oh I can't tell with these cables" or "did you bend them at all while packing them up? Oh no, that's why I can't hear the difference"

Your reasoning seems logical but you have clearly never tried or experienced burn-in

You would be partly correct. I have been burning in my existing cables for more than 5 years and have not noticed a difference. About once a year or so, I remove them from the back of the amp and speakers, trim off the exposed copper and strip the dielectric in order to have fresh ends which I believe might actually have an effect due to oxidization. Alas I am yet to notice that difference either. After having trimmed too many times I must renew them as they are too short. Hence a 5-10 year life span.

for some reason it seems that the better cables take longer to burn-in, perhaps because it allows for more detail (thus differences) to be observed.

That is highly illogical captain. You have now removed my (and perhaps other's) incentive to purchase higher priced cables.

Actually, I have to side with Andre here. The claim is not that ALL cables require burn-in, but that some do. He needs to see if the 2 pair of cables being sent to him sound different. If he thinks, no, then these aren't suitable cables to test him. The manufacturer might then suggest someone whom they think could do it, but they're under no obligation.

That said, for at least the "sort" part of the test, all unburned cables should be sent to Steve Eddy, who will do the random assignments, burn them in using whatever protocol the manufacturer recommends (he has that super-whammy burn in box), code them, send me the key (we can work out a double key way to do this for even better control), then send the coded cables to Andre. If I were the manufacturer, I'd probably send that first demo pair to Steve also for a thorough burn-in at the same conditions as the cables for the sorting test.

Forgive me, Andre, I just had to make an example of the direction they were going with you.

I've realised, perhaps we must start a business selling coated coat hangars on this forum. :)

That's an example of the typical nonsense we all hear - an "out". Either you hear it or you don't. Either it's important or it's not.

"Oh I can't tell with these cables" or "did you bend them at all while packing them up? Oh no, that's why I can't hear the difference"

Yes, a purple hole with green spots. ;)

Yeah, they do that.
Cast wires...
:rolleyes:

Yes you are right, don't know what the :rolleyes: is for. ;)

"the process involves slow casting the molten, purified copper through a special machine, which is preheated. The cool down of the single crystal filament is done in an environment of inert gas at a very slow rate, thus eliminating oxidization and the unwanted stress crystallization."

"the process involves slow casting the molten, purified copper through a special machine, which is preheated. The cool down of the single crystal filament is done in an environment of inert gas at a very slow rate, thus eliminating oxidization and the unwanted stress crystallization."

That quote is from a cable maker, the "science" on their site is to say the least lacking in rigor.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007

"the process involves slow casting (PULLING) the (NOT) molten, (NOT) purified copper through a special machine (DIE), which is (NOT) preheated. The cool down of the single crystal filament (SNORT!) is done in an environment of inert gas (FART) at a very slow rate, thus eliminating oxidization and the unwanted stress crystallization."

You will believe anything if it suits your agenda.

Last edited:
That quote is from a cable maker, the "science" on their site is to say the least lacking in rigor.

He's essentially referring to the Ohno continuous casting process which uses a heated mold. You can read about it in US patent number 4,665,970.

Ironically, the process has absolutely nothing to do with the electrical properties of the wire.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.