Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hopefully if I can show that even burn-in can make a difference then comments like "Regardless of what you do to the metal in your cables, NONE of it has an AUDIBLE effect" will also stop.
Well, go ahead and do so. You're a participant in the big cable audibility thread, so you'll have a definite idea of what's expected of you to show proof, rather than mere assertion.

Hopefully if I can show that even burn-in can make a difference then comments like "Regardless of what you do to the metal in your cables, NONE of it has an AUDIBLE effect" will also stop.

No, it won't. BUT... actual evidence of audibility will get people looking at whether it's the metal or the dielectric.

First things first, though- show that there's anything audible there before engaging in speculation.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No evidence will be credible to you. It will be: "delusion, hallucination, group hallucination, mass hallucination, mere coincidence, sheer coincidence, or sloppy research" from Robert Wilson You sir, are the slave to your beliefs.

Oatmeal769 is actively trying to get a controlled cable test on its feet. A test that will have credibility. A test that you refuse to be involved in for reasons we can only guess at.

jd

No evidence will be credible to you. It will be: "delusion, hallucination, group hallucination, mass hallucination, mere coincidence, sheer coincidence, or sloppy research"
Wrong.

Credible evidence = Someone ANYONE demonstrating that they can detect a difference between audio interconnect cables using their sense of hearing alone.
Anything leaving reasonable doubt that something other than the sense of hearing could be used to detect differences is suspect.

Why is this so difficult a concept? Especially for someone as knowledgeable as you?

I'm still wondering if we may perhaps cut costs and manufacture by approaching a cable company such as this one.

We could have them send 12 sets to whomever for 'burning-in', and return them when testing is complete. The most that might be different would be some scratching of the jacks from insertion. Other than that they'd be just like new, since burn in etc. is a farce.

Look interesting but let us start with two sets for initial testing.

Look interesting but let us start with two sets for initial testing.
That might make it even easier - if we hit him (or another company) up for two sets - one we can burn in, and one not.

Then proceed with 12 additional sets if you feel you can hear a difference. At worst, he would be returned two sets, no harm no foul.

That was the original premise, right?

Still waiting. Still have $ to contribute.

Here's another purveyor
of 'liquid upper end' and 'Teflon air tube dielectrics'.
They are however sort of reasonable for purchase (although no different in sound than a stock set from Radio Shack)

He has a no fault 30 day warranty including return shipping.

- AND he purports that proper burn-in makes an audible difference.

First, let me state clearly: I'm the owner of yaccocables.com, the company referred to in the above quoted post.

Now, on to my opinion :). As to whether I think burning in cables makes a difference, well, for capacitors and loudspeaker drivers... and even car engines, there is evidence that the process is beneficial. As to whether or not it makes a difference with wire, I haven't heard a good reason explaining why it would. And, while I've heard a difference with amplifiers, I haven't heard one with cables. Why then do I tell my customers to burn in the cables for 100hrs or so? Initially, I wasn't telling anyone to burn them in. But, I was getting email after email saying things to the effect of 'these cables sound OK initially, but after burning them in, they sound much better.' The general consensus was that 100hrs was around the time that people were coming to this conclusion. In fact, if you look at the 'reviews' section on my site (yaccocables.com/reviews.html) and read the comments from the speaker cables shootout, you'll see that the customer's only complaint was that I underestimated the burn-in effect, and that he in fact heard a much more significant difference than I led him to expect.

My concern is that should I provide some cables for a double-blind test, there are about 100+ pages in this thread saying there won't be a difference before the first note is even played. But, since YACCo. Cables was not built on the bedrock that burn-in is a fact, if the consensus is that there is no difference, I see no harm that could be done, and I’ll likely learn something in process.

Let me just write a word about why I started YACCo Cables. I've been an audiophile for a good number of years, and while I've grown frustrated at the stupid high prices of audiophile gear, nothing bothered me more than cables. I couldn't wrap my mind around #1 how companies justified their prices and #2 why people were paying those prices. So, I started to learn how to make my own cables, partly so that I can save some cash, and partly just to see if it'll really cost me that much to make a solid set of cables. Well, I learned that I could make some seriously good sounding cables. So, I said the hell with this, I'm starting sell this stuff and throw a little monkey wrench into the audiophile cable market. Admittedly, I've learned that people like high sticker prices on luxury good (which audiophile products assuredly are), and so people assume 'hey these cables are cheap; they probably sound cheap too.' Well, that’s what spawned the ‘no risk trial,’ and the people who’ve given us a try have learned that high quality cables really don’t need to cost a bundle.

So, in the end, I’m a giant skeptic like many of you. That skepticism is essentially what led to start of YACCo. Cables… so, if the question is ‘am I willing to ‘fund’ this project’ you better believe I am!

This is what I’d like to do. I’d like to provide 2 sets of interconnects, one burned in for 100hrs and one fresh from the womb (aka not burned in). However, I don’t want the experience limited to just one or a few members. Let’s start a list of people who want to participate and I’ll ship the cables to the first one on the list and we can agree that each member should have the cables for a week or so and ship them to the next member. The only issue I see is that as the un-burned in pair is used, it’ll become more and more burned in. So, each subsequent listener will get a cable that is less divergent from the burned in pair. However, if you’re mindful to use the un-burned in pair for active listening only, we shouldn’t end up putting anywhere near 100hrs on it. Each member will be responsible for the cost of shipping to the next one on the list and the last one will ship the cables back to me. I’ll create a new page on the website to house the list and you can PM if you’d like to be on it. If this is suitable, let me know, and I’ll edit this post with a link to the webpage with the list.

Regards,
Isaac D.

I think it would be better if it went to Andre first. That way, if he reports a difference, he can send them on while we prepare the 12 cables for his blind test. If he doesn't hear a difference, then he can send it to the next person to see if they do, and we'll try to find some wires that he believes do show a difference. Andre should PM you with his shipping address.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.